Golf Team Places 12th at Yale Invitational

The Quinnipiac Golf season is underway, and the team has already competed in four events. At the Dartmouth Invitational on Sept. 20-21, the team finished third out of nine teams. However, their most important event yet was this past weekend at the Yale Invitational. Yale, being our cross-town rivals placed second, while Quinnipiac finished 12th out of 15 teams.

Junior Brady Giroux is clearly the teams’ most consistent player. Giroux finished second on the team at the Rutgers Invitational shooting 149 (75-74) in the two day event. He shot another 149 (73-76) at the Dartmouth Invitational leading the team. At the Yale Invitational, Giroux had the best 3-day total score on the team with a 229 (78, 71, 80).

Senior captain Ian O’Connor’s scores have been slightly lower than last year, but still is a valuable scorer and teammate.

“O’Connor is a quiet leader, he hasn’t been quite as good as he was last year,” Coach O’Connor said.

On the bus rides, “there is a lot of joking,” from senior Jayson Loranger. Nevertheless, the team “[is] really into golf.”

That would partially explain the sudden progression from the team. Apparently, Loranger is making quite a name for himself on this team.

“Look out for Jay Loranger this year,” said Ian O’Connor.

Coach O’Connor is happy with the improvement of the team scoring as well as team chemistry. The golf team is off to a “better start than in the past,” said Coach O’Connor. “Our stroke averages have been better than in the past.”

Going into the Yale Invitational, Coach O’Connor knew that senior Ryan Reynolds was a local guy, and had played Yale University Golf Course numerous times. Reynolds shot 152 (77-75) last year at this event. It is a “very tough course, very narrow,” said Coach O’Connor. “If we can keep it in the fairway, there’s no reason we can’t win it.”