NFL Recap of Weeks Three and Four

Did the football watchers of week three witness the shocker of the decade, or, was the Patriots loss to the Dolphins a wake-up call to the world? The Pats are a different team this year without Tom Brady, after being slaughtered 38-13 at Foxboro in week three. Running back Ronnie Brown contributed on each of the five touchdowns the Dolphins scored, rushing for four, and yes, throwing for one too. Last year during the regular season, the Pats were 16-0 and the Dolphins were 1-15. Wake up world!

Week 3 also saw the Giants barely knock off the Bengals in an OT win 26-23. However, heads up Giants fans, Plaxico Burress is in trouble again: suspended by the team for Week 4 (bye) and Week 5 (against the Seahawks). When healthy and out of trouble, Plax can be one of the most potent wide receivers in the league; especially since he is quarterback Eli Manning’s favorite target.

Brett Favre’s two picks proved costly as the Chargers manhandled the Jets 48-29 on Monday Night Football. Chargers CB Antonio Cromartie had both interceptions and returned one for a TD. All-Pro runner LaDainian Tomlinson scored his first two TD’s of the year; his second one sealed the deal for the Chargers.

Tomlinson’s backup, Michael Turner, may have proven himself as a solid runner after having another big week with 104 yards on the ground and three TD’s for the Falcons. Turner’s potential stardom may be because of his years behind Tomlinson.

After four weeks in the NFL, the Bills and the Titans are the only two teams who are 4-0. The Bills have been winning by slim margins and fourth quarter comebacks. The Titans have arguably the best defense in the NFL led by their seventh round draft pick, cornerback Cortland Finnegan, who leads the NFL in interceptions with four. Nobody saw the Titans being ahead of the Jaguars and the Colts in the AFC South, nor did anyone see the Bills being ahead of the Patriots in AFC East.

The Patriots, Giants, Lions, Colts, Dolphins, and Seahawks strangely all had their bye weeks in week four. However, the Redskins-Cowboys rivalry was rekindled on Sunday Night Football, and expectations were met in this great game. The Redskins edged out a 26-24 victory over arguably the most complete team in the NFL. The ‘Skins have now won three games in a row, after they dropped their first game to the Giants.

The Broncos looked strong in their first three games; however, nobody gave the Chiefs running back Larry Johnson that memo, running for 198 yards and two TD’s as the Chiefs upset the Broncos 33-19. The Broncos could not contain either of the two offensive weapons for the Chiefs as tight end Tony Gonzalez scored their other touchdown. This loss is not a good sign for a promising team like the Broncos.

After getting beat up by the Chargers in week 3, the Jets reversed their fortune in week 4. The poor Cardinals met the Jets at the wrong time taking a 56-35 beating. Both QB’s went bananas in this game as Favre threw for a career high 6 TD’s and Kurt Warner threw for 472 yards completing 40 of his 57 passes. Warner committed six turnovers and the Jets scored on five of them, clearly determining the outcome of the game.

The Chargers have played nothing but thrilling games this season, partially because they lead the NFL in points (34.5). The streak of exhilarating games continued in week four with a 28-18 win over the Raiders. The score alone does not do this game justice as the Chargers, trailing 15-3 going into the fourth quarter, charged back for 25 points – complements of LaDainian Tomlinson who tacked on two more TD’s to his season total.

Other week 3 highlights include Josh Scobee hitting a game-winning 51-yard field goal with a minute left to squeak by the disappointing Colts. The Colts had won their previous 10 games in September prior to the loss. Also, Saints runner Reggie Bush compiled 148 total yards and 2 TD’s, but the Saints failed two-point conversion in the fourth quarter squashed their hopes of tying it in a 34-32 loss to the Broncos.

Other week 4 highlights include Josh Scobee hitting a game-winning field goal for the second week in a row, this time in overtime knocking off the Texans. The Steelers narrowly escaped the Ravens on a field goal in overtime on Monday Night Football. Even though the Ravens lost, they remain one of the scariest teams to play – packing the best defense in the NFL.