Freshman Class President Jameson Cherilus

How many of you know the newly elected President of the Class of 2012? More than just a Quinnipiac student, Jameson Cherilus is an individual with a diverse personality.

Jameson Achilles Cherilus hails from Bridgeport, CT. He attended Trumbull High School, where he made history by being voted the school’s first-ever prom king. At home, Jameson is the second of five children. He is very proud of his Haitian background, and he considers every member of his family to be a role model.

“My family is my backbone,” says Cherilus.
In light of his many diverse interests, Cherilus likes to refer to himself as a “renaissance man.” He is a well-rounded athlete, having played football in many different positions including running back, receiver, and corner. He was also the captain of his wrestling team in high school, and is very passionate about the sport. He believes wrestling builds confidence and character, and provides an inner peace.

Cherilus also likes to exercise his creativity. He enjoys writing poetry, as he believes it is a good way to express himself. He also has a passion for acting, saying he likes to be able to “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.”

Here at Quinnipiac, Cherilus is a political science major in the Pre-law program. He is also a volunteer in the National Student Partnership, which helps struggling individuals build résumés, finish school, and find jobs. He was inspired to run for the office of class president by the concept of diversity, hoping to break stereotypes within the community.

“I want to be the person to bring us together,” he said.
Cherilus’s goal as president is to make sure everyone’s voice is heard. Lately, he has been “dorm storming” in order to get feedback from his classmates. By going to each dorm room, he hopes to find out the hopes, concerns, and needs of his fellow freshmen. His personal goal is individual interaction with each classmate. Not only does Cherilus want to meet everyone, but he has set the challenging goal to remember the name of every student he comes in contact with.

“I want the Class of 2012 to be heard.I want to make an impact today,” said Cherilus.

His advice to the freshmen class is to take time to learn from other people, especially those from different backgrounds.

“Be open,” he said. “Don’t discriminate and don’t refuse change.”

Jameson Cherilus is very grateful for the opportunity to be President. He hopes to make a difference at Quinnipiac, and to create a name for the freshmen class.

“Thank you, Class of 2012, for electing me to represent your voice.”