MMMBoppin at Toad’s Place

It was 3 p.m. I walked past Toad’s Place with my Hanson ticket in my back pocket, thinking to myself “there can’t be a line here already for a 7 p.m. show.” Well, I was wrong.

Last Saturday, Hanson, the heartthrob trio from the ‘90s, performed at Toad’s. With a club full of screaming girls, many of whom were in their 20s, the Hanson brothers brought back fan’s dreams of marriage throughout their set.

When the opener, solo artist Charlie Mars, simply mentioned the group as he spoke to the audience, Toad’s erupted with screams that were equivalent to those you would hear at a Justin Bieber concert. It was unlike anything that I had ever experienced before, or could have imagined. Just because the Hanson brothers are happily married with kids, it doesn’t mean they’re off limits to fan’s fantasies and hopeful dreams.

The trio led the crowd through a magical and appropriately titled “Musical Ride” journey into their music over the years. The band shifted back and forth between old classics that made us fall in love with them as tweens, such as the mega hits “MMMBop” and “Penny and Me.” They also played new music off their 2010 album, including “Shout it Out.”

It was a perfect balance between old and new, and the performance proved to the audience just how much the band has grown in terms of musical style. It’s a safe bet to say that the show was an hour and forty five minute long dance party. When it came time for the Hanson men to play their feel good classics such as “Thinkin’ Bout Something” and “Give a Little,” everyone at Toad’s began jumping up and down, feeding off of Taylor, Zach and Isaac’s incredible energy. Moments like this not only stuck out from the night, but will likely resonate with many audience members for the rest of their lives.

During a concert, there’s something about the energy between the artist and the audience that makes the feeling addicting; as if you’re the only one the band is singing to. Hanson did exactly this. Every time a Hanson brother looked into the crowd, fans erupted with screams.

Although Hanson no longer dominates the radio, the band’s heartthrob status still remains relevant today.