Women’s lacrosse clinches share of conference title

With three NEC wins last week, the Quinnipiac University women’s lacrosse team guarenteed itself at least a share of the NEC regular season title. Both Monmouth and Sacred Heart still have a chance to finish to tied with the Bobcats.

The Bobcats, who are currently riding a seven game winning streak, defeated Central Connecticut 17-4 last Wednesday. Only 34 seconds into the contest, Tiffany Manzi scored the first goal of the game. CCSU’s Lyndsey Mastandrea answered with a goal of her own a few minutes later. The Bobcats would then take control of the game as they scored the next 11 goals.

Manzi and Nicole Fiore each tallied a hat trick in the win over the Blue Devils.

On Friday, the Bobcats won a key road contest over then undefeated Sacred Heart, 10-9. Freshman Lauren Matuszczak scored the game winning goal on a free position shot with 4:37 left in regulation. It was Matuszczak’s second goal of the contest. Junior goalie Hannah Nelson made a number of big saves down the stretch to help preserve the win for the Bobcats.

Manzi continued her scoring rampage with the second of her three hat tricks for the week.

On Sunday, Quinnipiac finished up its NEC schedule with a road win over Mt. St. Mary’s, 12-4. The Bobcats built a comfortable 7-2 lead after the first half. The Mountaineers scored the first two goals of the second half to cut the deficit to 7-4. However, this was as close as he Mountaineers would get as the Bobcats scored the last five goals of the contest.

All season long, the Bobcats have been led by a stellar offense. Only once this season have the Bobcats been held under ten goals and that was during their 14-8 loss to Cal Berkeley back on March 14. During their winning streak, Quinnipiac has outscored their opponents by a whopping score of 112-41.

With their NEC schedule wrapped up, Quinnipiac will finish off their regular season as they will welcome Colgate on Sunday at 3 p.m. The NEC tournament will begin on Sunday, April 25 at the home field of the highest seed.