Men’s tennis takes down Lafayette in home opener

The Men’s Tennis team earned its second victory of the season with a 7-0 sweep of Lafayette Saturday afternoon at the Quinnipiac indoor tennis courts.

Sophomore John Hughes won in both the No. 1 singles and doubles. Hughes defeated Lafayette’s Justin Haar 6-3, 7-5.

Hughes also paired up with sophomore Charlie Feldman to defeat James Murphy and Eric Wiley 8-6. Feldman also notched a victory in the No. 4 singles slot.

Freshman Brian Mikkelson won in the No. 2 spot in both singles and doubles. The Mequon, Wis. native is 10-3 in singles and 15-1 in doubles this season with partner and fellow freshman, Sean Pease.

Junior Tom Curran and Scott Salway paired to win their No. 3 doubles match before winning at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles flights, respectively. The pair is 6-4 on the season.

The Bobcats have won the NEC tournament the past three seasons, making it three straight trips to the NCAA tournament. Head coach Mike Quitko, now in his 16th season as head coach of the men’s and women’s tennis programs, said he has high expectations for the team.

“I think our expectations are to improve as the season goes on, to work together better, and to become a team that can definitely take a run at the NEC title, and therefore another championship,” Quitko said.

Quitko also stressed the importance of the team’s effort both on and off the court.

“Its important that your whole team is ready,” Quitko said. “So I’m going to rely on all the players to do a good job both on the court and in the classroom. I think that’s very important.”

Quinnipiac returns to action on March 1. The Bobcats will travel to Colgate for a non-conference matchup. First matches are set to begin at 1 p.m.