RAVE and WRECK of the week: March 30, 2011

RAVE of the week: Oh My, Oh Land

Epic Records’ Nanna Øland Fabricius, better known by her stage name Oh Land, is blowing up the electro-pop music scene since the release of her self-titled album earlier this month. With recent performances on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and at Austin’s SXSW music festival, this Danish singer, songwriter and producer is surely making a name for herself.

Her music is energetic and fun. Listeners and audiences can dance to the beat but also admire the careful lyrics she injects into every song, focusing on every aspect to make each song truly unique.

On the artist’s website, ohlandmusic.com, she is quoted in her biography saying “I strive to make the possibilities endless and to have all the senses collide in to a language on their own.”

Watching Oh Land perform is even more exciting. She is animated and passionate when she sings, telling her stories through music.

It’s clear the ex-ballerina is more than just another pop star one-hit wonder. With an opera singer for a mother and a theatre organist for a father, Oh Land’s creative performance quality and talent must be in her blood. Her sound is ahead of her time, but will most likely catch on quickly.

“Sun of a Gun,” one of the tracks off her album, with its infectious beat, can put anyone in a bubbly mood. “White Nights” and “We Turn it Up,” are also songs to definitely have on repeat.

With her soothing, distinctive voice and tone, she’s definitely an artist to keep a close watch on in 2011.

video credit: Oh Land

WRECK of the week: Dear God, Make it Stop!

At this rate, Charlie Sheen may have some competition in terms of social media attention.

Just in case you didn’t know how much fun Friday nights are, pre-teen Rebecca Black tells you over and over again in her brainless single, “Friday.”

The 13-year-old “pop star” produced and recorded the single with the ARK Music Factory. To date, “Friday” ranks at No. 36 on iTunes, and has acquired more than 62 million views via YouTube.

video credit: Youtube

video cre
Just days after the song’s February release, the wannabe Disney Channel star began attracting an absurd amount of attention. Needless to say, that attention turned out to be mostly negative, and social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook have become popular outlets for harshly hilarious criticisms.

“Roses are red, violets are blue, if Rebecca Black wins ANY awards, Kanye you know what to do,” @StewieGriffy tweeted.

Black’s monotone voice makes Miley Cyrus sound like Celine Dion. As if her voice isn’t irritating enough, the word “Friday” is repeated 26 times too many throughout the song’s painful three minutes and 48 seconds run-time.

The good news is that Rebecca Black has finally stopped trending on Twitter. The bad news is that Rebecca Black doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.

The only second chance Black should get is a Web redemption from Daniel Tosh.