Women’s ice hockey ties UNH 1-1

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team was just seven minutes away from defeating the University of New Hampshire for the first time in program history. But a goal by UNH (14-14-0, 6-11) forward Courtney Birchard tied the game at 1-1 and sent the game into overtime where it ended in a tie.

The Bobcats (18-11-1, 10-8-0) gained a point in the standings with the tie but head coach Rick Seeley felt it was a game that got away.

“I thought we controlled the third period well, we had been running the forecheck all game but then we iced the puck twice, got caught running into each other, and left someone open and it’s a tie game,” he said.

Both teams had plenty of scoring chances late in the third and in the overtime period. Vigilanti came up with a major save with 1:12 remaining in the game, and also turned away a shot on a 3-on-2 attack in overtime.

“She made some big time saves that kept it a 1-1 tie,” Seeley said.

The Bobcats appeared to have a glimmer of hope when UNH was called for a penalty for too many men on the ice with 21.8 seconds left in the game. But UNH won the faceoff in its zone and held on for the tie.

The Bobcats had taken a 1-0 lead in the second period when Kelly Babstock centered a pass in front of the net which found Amanda Colin’s stick. Colins sent the puck past Wildcat goalkeeper Kayley Herman to give QU a 1-0 lead.

The lead appeared to be enough before Birchard’s goal which hit the upper-right hand corner of the net.

The Bobcats next face ECAC opponent Rensselaer on Friday at 7 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center.