Women’s hockey leaves Detroit with weekend split

Thanks to strong penalty killing, the No. 10 ranked women’s ice hockey team split its weekend series in Detroit against non-conference opponent Wayne State University.

The Bobcats (16-8-1) lost the opener, 2-1, on Friday to the Warriors (8-14-0). After killing two consecutive penalties in the second period, the Bobcats committed a third straight penalty and were unable to hold the Warriors. They then went up 2-0 with 10 minutes remaining in the third period on a goal from defender Jill Szandzik.

With less than two minutes remaining, Quinnipiac pulled its goalie and got within one goal when Regan Boulton scored her eighth goal of the year. But in the final minute of play, the Warriors’ defense blocked three shots and goalie Delayne Brian made a key stop to preserve a 2-1 win and snap the Warriors’ six-game losing streak.

The Bobcats struck within the first three minutes of the game on Saturday on a goal by Kate Wheeler through the legs of Brian for a 1-0 lead.

Wheeler then added to her total at the 13:39 mark in the second period with another shot through the five-hole of the Warriors’ goaltender.

Quinnipiac extended its lead to three with a goal 17 seconds after Wheeler’s. Kelly Babstock won the faceoff and slapped a shot at Brian, who lost control, which allowed Amanda Colin to put the rebound in the back of the net for her fourth goal of the year. Quinnipiac goalie Victoria Vigilanti followed up a 19-save performance on Friday with 20 saves and earned her sixth shutout of the year. Brian stopped 31 of 34 shots faced.

The Bobcats will take their conference-leading 1.38 goals against average back home to face Clarkson on Friday. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center.