MR. CLUTCH: Johnson scores eight points in final 1:38 to give Bobcats the win [Slideshow]

Down four with 1:38 left, James Johnson scored the next eight points for the Bobcats, including back-to-back threes, to lead the Bobcats to a 77-75 come from behind victory over Mount St. Mary’s.

The junior guard, who started his record-tying 71st game to begin his Quinnipiac career, scored his final two points with 0.5 seconds left in the game to give the Bobcats the win Saturday afternoon at the TD Bank Sports Center.

James Johnson raises his hands in celebration after sinking the game-winning layup with less than one second on the clock. Photo by Matt Eisenberg.

“With about six, seven minutes left, I was like, we’re not going to lose this game,” Johnson said.

And he made sure of that.

With the Bobcats (5-2, 1-0 NEC) down by four, Johnson received a pass from Dominique Langston well beyond the three point arc. But with the shot clock winding down, Johnson had to throw it up. And he hit it, nothing but net.

“The shot clock was going down, so I had to throw it up,” Johnson said. “I was lucky that it went in.”

And just under 30 seconds later Johnson tied the game with another three from the wing.

“I told Dave (Johnson), just give me the ball. I don’t care if he’s on me, I’m shooting it,” Johnson said.

With the Mountaineers (3-5, 1-1 NEC) holding the ball for the last shot, Johnson used his defense to steal the win. Julian Norfleet controlled the ball for the Mountaineers near his bench, but Johnson stuck his hand in there and stripped the ball out with three and a half seconds left.

“I was saying if my man gets the ball at the top, I’m going to try and steal it,” Johnson said. “I was not going to let him beat me.”

And just like that the Johnsons, James and Dave, were off to the races, trying to beat the clock for the winning basket.

“I see Dave Johnson running and I was like ‘Dave, I would usually pass this, but I got to take this myself,’” Johnson said.

More photos from Matt Eisenberg:

The Bobcats were able to come out on the victorious side of a last-minute shot. Last time out, the Bobcats fell to UMass on a last-second goaltending call.

Coach Tom Moore was happy to get the victory, but said it didn’t feel right.

“It’s sort of an empty feeling for a win,” he said. “I didn’t feel we played particularly well on either end.”

Justin Rutty was the second leading scorer, behind Johnson, with 24 points. He also grabbed 10 rebounds, five of those on the offensive board.

“Justin physically looks like he’s a little more bouncier,” Moore said. “His hip is feeling better week-to-week.”

The Bobcats return to action Tuesday, when they host Lehigh at 7 p.m.