Coming home

Alumni Weekend at Quinnipiac offers something catered to everyone’s interests. From open sports practices, to a tailgate for the hockey game and BBQs–there are plenty of events for the alumni to choose to fit into their schedule.

I caught up with some of the alumni on Saturday for a barbeque at the Alumni Gardens. The BBQ was a family event, as many alumni brought their kids. There was plenty to entertain the potential candidates for a Bobcat legacy with face painting, a bouncy house, a slime making station and even Boomer. Along with tables of food, there were even more smiles and hugs going around. For the alumni, being back on campus brought back a flood of memories. – Kristen Altmeyer

What do you miss most about Quinnipiac?

OLLIE DAVIS

CLASS OF 1968

“I miss the atmosphere, the quiet, Sleeping Giant. That was unique when I was here 50 years. Not many students on campus, only three buildings. But the teachers were fantastic. We had a very good relationship with the teachers.”

[media-credit id=2228 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit] 

DAN GOOLEY

CLASS OF 1971

Well, this is my home. I started to go to school here in 1966 and graduated from here in 1970. I started coaching here in 1971 in baseball. I just retired from the university two years ago. I don’t know any other home other than Quinnipiac University. When you’re not here on a daily basis, that’s what you miss. I miss the people that are here. The length of time you stay is not as important as the people that are here that you become very close friends with and relationships.”

[media-credit id=2228 align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit] 

KRISTEN LEDDY

CLASS OF 2002

“The friendships. You grow up, you grow apart, but once a year you get together and that’s what it’s all about. Unfortunately, you can’t stay close to everyone, but I’m glad they have this once a year so you can reconnect.”

What has changed the most about Quinnipiac since your graduated?

[media-credit id=2228 align=”alignleft” width=”200″][/media-credit] 

LISA HERBERT

CLASS OF 2002

“The grounds are different. They’ve expanded a lot. When we were here it was just Mount Carmel campus, so this is very different for us. It’s beautiful and great to come back and where we are standing wasn’t here.”

[media-credit id=2228 align=”alignright” width=”200″][/media-credit]PETER MATERA

CLASS OF 1963

“[The] campus. I came from Whitney Avenue, which was the old campus. I played baseball when Burt Kahn was the coach, and that’s how you have the Burt Kahn Court. The school has come a long way. This campus is absolutely fabulous. What it offers students today, they are so lucky and fortunate. I just hope they realize how fortunate they are, to have what they have.”

[media-credit name=”Megan Lowe” align=”alignleft” width=”200″][/media-credit] 

MICHELE HOPKINS BELTRAM

CLASS OF 1992

“The growth of the school. I’m very impressed that they have kept the culture and the beauty of it, even though they have been able to grow tremendously. It’s really exciting to be here.”

How did Quinnipiac prepare you for your career after graduation?

FRANCISCO PEREZ

CLASS OF 1982

“Quinnipiac prepared me by showing me the world. Showing me the other people in the world. I came from a small town, which really limited me to the amount of people I’d run into and at Quinnipiac I ran into all different people, people with different incomes, different beliefs. Quinnipiac was the real world compared to the small town that I came from.”

MARK SWANE

CLASS OF 1984

“It gave me a good business base to work in the business field.”