Students salute

[media-credit id=2148 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Name: Shamar Farmer 

Age: 27

Year: Senior
Major: Political science

Q: What does being a student
Veteran mean to you?

A: It’s difficult to explain. We are students who have life experience. We bring that life experience into the classroom with stories about what we’ve done, where we’ve gone, who we’ve seen, people we have met and the environments we live in. 

Q: How have your experiences shaped you as a person?

A: It’s made me more open to all walks of life.       Because I have gone from a completely left field to a completely right and in between. It helps me see through other people’s eyes, gain a different perspective and be more understanding.

Name: Jordan Atchley

Age: 23

Year: Junior
Major: Legal studies

Q: What does being a student
Veteran mean to you?

A: It’s an honor for me. I feel that I have a great opportunity to represent veterans and the viewpoint of veterans in the classroom. I think veterans sometimes have a stigma of being on the fringe or differant than regular people…It’s nice to express to other students that is not the case.

A: It has made me more responsible. I’m better able to see things from different perspectives and other points of view. It really helped me understand other people around me, as opposed to being narrow minded. 

Name: Alex Hartman 

Age: 26

Year: Junior
Major: Game design

Q: What does being a student
Veteran mean to you?

A: To me, being a student veteran means that no matter how hard things get, I know it could always be worse. There’s nothing I can’t do.

A: So I can sleep anywhere and am really good at drinking. I consider myself a very resilient person, in the sense that it takes a lot to really get to me. From all my experiences, in the military especially, I know what I’m capable of and I know exactly where I’m going.

Name: Amanda Herbert 

Age: 24

Year: Senior
Major: Legal studies

Q: What does being a student
Veteran mean to you?

A: For me personally, at Quinnipiac specifically, I think it means a lot more than if I possibly l went to a different school. One of the reasons I picked Quinnipiac was because of our veteran liason, Jason Burke. It was easy to set up an appointment with him. He took me around the school. The school is obviously beautiful. The Student Veteran Organization provides a welcoming environment, kind of a safe space for us, to all have a military connection, but then also college students together.