Men’s lacrosse drops season opener

Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse dropped its season opener at home to Brown 20-7 on Saturday afternoon.

“As a team, it was an overall failure,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Fekete said. “We’ve just got to get to work, regroup, and get back to business on Monday.”

Dylan Molloy tallied five goals for the Brown Bears, while senior midfielder Connor Meth lead Bobcats with two goals and four shots on goal.

Quinnipiac did not waste any time getting on the scoreboard, as senior attacker Ryan Keenan scored the first goal of the season to put the Bobcats up 1-0 early on in the game.

Despite Quinnipiac’s strong start, Brown pinned the Bobcats in their own zone after the initial goal and responded with five unanswered goals of their own to close out the first quarter.

The Bears picked up right where they left off in the second quarter on a Kylor Bellistri goal, but promptly, Quinnipiac came back on a shot from sophomore attacker Anthony Carchietta that found twine.

Although the lead was temporarily cut to 6-2, Brown consistently capitalized on transition plays and exploded for five goals in just two minutes at the end of the second quarter.

“We’ve gotta be a little more potent on offense and limit transition defense,” Fekete said. “I think we have improvements to make across the board in every area.”

It took Brown just 40 seconds into the third quarter to continue its offensive domination as Molloy added his fourth goal of the game on a shot that was able to beat junior goalkeeper Jack Brust.

Junior midfielder Kevin Diehl scored Quinnipiac’s third goal of the tilt to keep comeback hopes alive, but shortly afterwards Brown would add goals 13, 14, 15 and 16 in the span of nine minutes.

The Bobcats got offensive help on a pair of goals from Meth to close the third quarter and open the fourth, but it was not enough to catch up to Brown.

“Both times I went to the goal quick, dodged, and shot it,” Meth said. “It was at the point of the game when you have to rush things, and can’t really settle it down and work your offense.”

Brown scored two more goals before freshman midfielder Jack Hill and sophomore attack Brian Feldman tallied goals of their own to close out the game’s scoring at 20-7 in favor of Brown.

Next up, the Bobcats face Bellarmine University on the road in hopes of regaining confidence for the remainder of the season.

“We’ll watch the film and get back on the field Monday,” Meth said. “On offense we’ve gotta work at a fast pace and run with them.”