Women’s hockey extend winning streak to eight vs New Hampshire

No. 4 Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey had a decisive win over the University of New Hampshire Wildcats with a final score of 6-0. The win extends the Bobcats win streak to eight games, which is tied for the most in program history.

The Bobcats displayed total domination over the Wildcats, not only performing in the offensive zone but also making sure to defense kept tight over the course of the game. Quinnipiac outshot their opponent 26 to seven, which marked the second lowest shot total from an opponent this season.

With first period goals from Lindsey West, Nicole Kosta, Taylar Cianfarano along with a power play goal from Nicole Connery, the Bobcats cruised to another win to improve their record to 14-1-3, and 7-1-2 in the ECAC.

[media-credit id=2132 align=”alignright” width=”300″]DSC_0282[/media-credit]

West scored the first goal 3:56 into the first period and Quinnipiac did not look back. With a pass from forward Emma Woods to the point, West seized the opportunity with a blistering slap shot to beat the Wildcats goalie. Moments later the Bobcats scored another goal to increase the lead by two with a give and go play out of the right corner connecting Nicole Brown to an unmarked Kosta that buried the puck top right past the goalies blocker.

Quinnipiac seemed to be in sync with each other as there was an array of scoring from several players. Cianfarano and Connery both recorded three points while Brown, Woods and Kosta also received two points.

Four Bobcat defenseman also took part in the scoring including West, scoring her first goal of the season along with assists from Kristen Tamberg and Alicia Barry.

Recently, Connery has found her niche for points, scoring two goals on Friday night, making it the fifth time in her career to have a multi-goal game. Her three points on the evening would also tie her career- high of points in a game behind two goals and an assist. Connery is gradually rising in point ranks as she is now currently tied for third in points on the team with ten goals and five assists for a total of 15 points on the season.

“Personally I do not pay attention to point streaks,” Connery said. “I go into every game knowing I am going to play the best of my ability.”

In an offensively dominated game for the Bobcats, this would mark the third time this season where they have scored at least six goals.

Going to the second half of the season, the Bobcats hope to continue to keep up the good play.

“A message that I would like to bring to the second half of the season is the belief that we can beat any team we play,” Quinnipiac head coach Cassandra Turner said.

The Bobcats end the first half of the 2015-2016 season on a high note, as they will now have a period of rest over the holidays. The Bobcats return back to the ice on January 1st to play ECAC rivals Yale, along with a rematch against Brown University on January 2nd.