Women’s hockey tops Cornell 3-1

Women’s hockey tops Cornell 3-1

Following a 0-0 draw versus Colgate the previous night, Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey looked to finish its weekend series of ECAC competition on a high note, as they welcomed the Cornell Big Red to High Point Solutions Arena.

Despite being shut out the previous night, the Bobcats offense was able to get back on track after a 3-1 victory over Cornell.

[media-credit name=”Julia Gallop” align=”alignright” width=”292″]IMG_1154[/media-credit]

Quinnipiac came out aggressive on both ends from the opening puck drop. Unfortunately, Cornell’s offense came out equally aggressive.

The Big Red took nearly as many shots on Quinnipiac goalie Sydney Rossman in the first period of the game (8) than Rossman had faced in the entirety of the previous weekend (12).

The early aggression of Cornell’s paid off, as Hanna Bunton put one past Rossman for the first goal of the game 13 minutes into the first period, giving the Big Red a 1-0 lead.

During the intermission, Quinnipiac head coach Cassandra Turner had a message for her players to help them end their four period scoreless streak.

“We talked about being confident that we can score, how we can do it and the effort it was going to take to do it,” Turner said. “It wasn’t always going to be easy and it wasn’t going to always be a highlight goal, but we needed to be hungry and gritty around the net.”

The second period began similarly, as both teams had several chances on net.

After killing off a penalty, the Bobcats found their way on the board, as Nicole Kosta finishing a breakaway and tie the game at 1-1.

The Bobcats weren’t finished scoring in the period, as Meghan Turner had a shot from behind the net deflected into the net and extend the Quinnipiac lead to 2-1.

T.T Cianfarano put one more away off the power play during the period, giving the Bobcats the 3-1 lead going into the final period of play. The Bobcats three goals scored in the second period were the most goals the team had scored in a game this season.

Following today’s victory, the No. 7 Bobcats (6-1-2) are now 2-1-1 in ECAC play this season. The team will now look to prepare, as they are set to face off with the No. 10 Princeton Tigers in Hamden next Saturday.

[twitter-follow username=”JordanNovack” scheme=”dark”]