Prepare for October’s best holidays

When you think about October, what comes to mind? Maybe fallen leaves, apple picking, confusing weather or Halloween. Unfortunately, we don’t get to celebrate Halloween until the end of the month. In the meantime, here is a list of our nation’s most wonderfully exciting – yet unknown – holidays, so you can (pumpkin) spice up your October. -Caroline Millin

October 14

National Dessert DayScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.18.41 PM
This holiday takes root in a ground-breaking mathematical/gastronomical principle from Babylonia. An old philosopher and mathematician discovered that the Golden Ratio between the time to eat a helping of dessert and the time to break between helpings is exactly 10-14 minutes. He conducted studies on citizens throughout his city and found the most gastronomically pleasing ratio for every type of dessert was a golden 10-14. That philosopher’s n
ame? Albert Einstein. Now go have a cupcake.

October 17 

Sweetest DayScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.19.03 PM

We have days for significant others, siblings and parents, but now there’s a day when we can we can just celebrate the sweetest person in our lives! Send a text, email, IM or carrier pigeon to the one you find sweet.

October 18 

No Beard Day

For those of you who are just too cool for No-Shave November, this day is the one for you! As the nameScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.19.18 PM implies, no beards are allowed. In fact, some groups and organizations take this holiday very seriously and may call you out for not
participating, so make sure to at least cover it up or something.

October 22
National Nut Day

National Nut Day is a historical day made out of pity. On Oct. 22, 1687, Isaac Newton and his assistant, Notwen Caasi, went for a walk. In a meadow, there was a plethora of trees of all kinds. While walking, Notwen requested that they sit beneath one of the trees to rest (‘twas a very hot day). They chose adjacent trees; for Notwen, a hazelnut tree, and for Isaac, an apple tree. They were both very tired and rested too aggressively against the bases of their respective trees. Simultaneously, hazelnuts and apples fell, striking both men on the tops of their heads. After taking a few seconds to recover and collect themselves, the conversation went on like so:

“Isaac: Why did that apple fall?Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.19.42 PM

Notwen: I was thinking the same thing about the nut.

Isaac: No way. What should we call that phenomena?

Notwen: Gravity is a cool name.

Isaac: I should get this published. I need a quill.

Notwen: But we thought of it at the same time.

Isaac: But saying a nut led to some crazy revelation might draw an unfavorable comparison from critics.

Notwen: Yeah you’re probably right. Let’s go with the apple.

Isaac: We can see if we can get a National Nut Day to commemorate this though.

Notwen: Alright cool.”

OCTOBER 22 

CAPS LOCK DAYScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.20.08 PM

No one is really sure when or how this day arose, but it’s here to stay. The “official” site for this holiday states its purpose as follows:

“CAPS LOCK DAY IS A CELEBRATION OF LIFE AND FOREVER SCREAMING TEXT FOR ALL ETERNITY AND LOVE.”

This can be a great day to express your feelings in the most emphatic way possible. You can try to figure out how to incorporate this with National Nut Day too, I guess.

October 24 

National Make A Difference Day

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.20.28 PMAlright, seriously now. Everyone wants to make an impact on the world, and this is the day to make that change happen. A lot of organizations have events on this day, and by volunteering some of your time you can really make a positive difference on the world.  Visit makeadifferenceday.com to find events near you that can volunteer for!
Fun Fact: Former President Jimmy Carter builds houses for the underprivileged every year on National Make A Difference Day.

October 25 

National Pasta DayScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.20.41 PM

Find the pasta section and support your local grocer to make the finest dish you’ve ever tasted. Pasta really is a wonderful food, and it has some great health benefits. Visit the website of the National Pasta Association to learn more about how great pasta can be for you, and check and see if they’re hosting any events nearby.

October 29th 

Cat DayScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 3.20.53 PM

The National Cat Day site gives some great pointers on how to celebrate your furry friend (or potential furry friend). First and foremost, go out and adopt one! There are plenty of adorable and friendly cats looking for a fun home. Other ways of celebrating are donating to shelters, getting your cat checked at the vet and making sure you have a safe and healthy environment for your pet.