Women’s ice hockey takes Game 1

Womens ice hockey takes Game 1

The Quinnipiac women’s hockey team scored its most goals in a single game in program playoff history, downing the Princeton Tigers 7-0 in the first match of an ECAC Quarterfinal series.

“I was really happy with how we played,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “It was a complete effort. It has been a while since we have had one of those where everyone played totally selflessly and as a result, created lots of great opportunities. We capitalized today.”

Quinnipiac hopped on the board first on Meghan Turner’s fifth goal of the year. Turner deflected a pass sent in from Emma Woods, who was working her way from the right to the left behind Princeton’s goalie Kimberly Newell.

The Bobcats doubled their lead less than three minutes later on a goal by T.T. Cianfararo. Nicole Connery brought the puck into the offensive zone, passed the puck from the right face-off zone, and Cianfararo slid the puck to the open right side of Newell to make it 2-0.

Quinnipiac finished the period with two goals in the final five minutes. Lindsey West scored from just past the blue line and off a deflection for her fourth goal of the year. Erica Uden Johansson scored on a one-timer from the right side on a pass from Nicole Kosta on a Quinnipiac power play to complete the four-goal first-stanza.

“I got to see my team play to their highest potential,” said Quinnipiac goalie Chelsea Laden, who saw only six shots in the first period. “As a goalie going into the playoffs, that could not be more confident building for me.”

Cianfararo scored the lone goal of the second period for her second of the game. She brought the puck into the offensive zone along the left side, faked out a defender, and flipped the puck over Newell on the shortside to put Quinnipiac ahead 5-0.

Cianfararo said there was one thing on her mind when she met the defender.

“Toe drag, for sure,” Cianfararo said. “It’s my specialty. I love doing toe drags.”

Shiann Darkangelo scored Quinnipiac’s first goal of the final period. Danielle Marmer was awarded the assist as Darkangelo blasted the puck past Newell from the right side.

Nicole Connery scored the Bobcats’ seventh and final goal. She brought the puck into the offensive zone, weaved through several Princeton defenders, and scored on the backhand with 57 seconds left in the game.

The Bobcats took the lead into the final horn to solidify the 7-0 victory.

Laden earned the conference record for most shutouts in a single season with her 15th on the year. She said she never expected to hold this record at the beginning of the season.

“I could never have imagined we would be saying that at the beginning of the season,” Laden said. “Fifteen is definitely a lot and it just shows how much this program has grown and how awesome my team is.”

Quinnipiac plays the second game of the series against Princeton tomorrow at 3 p.m. at the High Point Solutions Arena. Since Quinnipiac joined the conference in 2005, the winner of the first game of an ECAC Quarterfinal series has went on to win the series 32 of 36 times. Seeley stressed coming back with the same intensity in tomorrow’s game.

“I am not sure how to do it for sure, but I think experience dictates that we will come out a little better tomorrow,” Seeley said.

[twitter-follow username=”MolesDontSki” scheme=”dark”]