Cornell downs women’s ice hockey in OT

Cornell downs womens ice hockey in OT

Hanna Bunton’s goal with 40 seconds left in overtime gave the Cornell Big Red women’s ice hockey team a 4-3 victory over Quinnipiac Friday night at the TD Bank Sports Center.

“I thought we did enough to win the game,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said.

Jess Brown gave Cornell the early lead. Cassandra Poudrier fed Brown the assist less than a minute and a half into the opening period.

“I thought we bounced back [from the goal] pretty well. In the first few minutes they were going pretty hard at us,” said Seeley.

Brown nearly extended the lead to 2-0 four minutes later when a puck deflected off her past Quinnipiac goalie Chelsea Laden. However, following a lengthy review by the referees, the goal was overturned after it was determined Brown kicked the puck into the net.

“I think we would have been totally out of it if that second goal counted,” Seeley said.

Raquel Pennoyer tied the game up with her first collegiate goal 8:37 into the period. After Tori DeAngelis won the puck into the Cornell zone, she gave the pass to Pennoyer who snuck the puck to the right of Cornell goalie Paula Voorheis.

“She got the tying goal. It doesn’t get much bigger than that,” said Seeley of Pennoyer.

In the closing minute of the period, Jillian Saulnier put Cornell ahead to a 2-1 lead. Cornell converted the two-on-one opportunity as captain Brianne Jenner sent the pass past Laden and Saulnier adjusted to put in the backhand shot.

Quinnipiac quickly countered with a goal by Nicole Costa. Costa put in the rebound forty seconds into the second period from the left side after the deflection on an Erica Uden Johansson shot.

With just over 4 minutes left in the period, the Bobcats took a 3-2 lead. Raquel Pennoyer delivered a pass to Lindsey West who took a one-timer from just past the blue line. The puck deflected off Nicole Connery for her tenth goal of the season.

Cornell’s Kaitlin Doering scored the lone goal of the third period as she sent the shot from the left face-off circle and off the glove of Laden.

The 3-3 score was taken into overtime. With less than one minute remaining in the game, it was the shot by Bunton past the left skate of Laden that gave the Big Red the 4-3 victory.

“You let down in overtime the way a few of our players did and bad things happen,” said Seeley.

The loss brings the Bobcats’ conference record to 12-3-2. Quinnipiac looks to rebound tomorrow against Colgate at the High Point Solutions Arena.