Women’s basketball wins sixth straight over Manhattan

Womens basketball wins sixth straight over Manhattan

On a day when it honored senior Samantha Guastella for scoring her 1,000th career point earlier in the week against Fairfield, the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team looked to win its sixth straight game as it played hosts to Manhattan Sunday at the TD Bank Sports Center.

Following an initial delay to the opening tip due to inclement weather, Guastella and fellow senior Val Driscoll led the Bobcats to a 15-0 lead during the first 4:30 of the first half. After getting on such a roll early, the Bobcats used this early momentum to close out a strong first half by shooting 62 percent from the field and 65 percent from behind the 3-point line. Quinnipiac led 50-14 heading into halftime.

On top of a strong showing on offense, the Bobcats held the Jaspers to just 25 percent shooting during the first half.

“We did what we do very well,” Quinnipiac head Tricia Fabbri said. “That’s score the ball, run offense, share the ball and get the open person the shot. Our shooting percentage in the first half here has been extraordinary.”

The Bobcats continued to assert their presence in the second half, going up by as much as 42 at one point thanks in large part to 41 points off the bench. Additionally, the Bobcats had great success shooting the ball throughout the contest, finishing the game shooting 31-of-65 from the floor and sinking 13 threes.

“This was a very important game for our conference play,” Guastella said of the win. “It was exciting to get another big win two games in a row.”

With the win, the Bobcats are now 16-3 overall, and 8-0 in MAAC play.

The team must now prepare for another big conference game against Marist at the TD Bank Sports Center on Thursday.

[twitter-follow username=”tyrell_walden” scheme=”dark”]