Men’s ice hockey blanks No. 4 Colgate

Mens ice hockey blanks No. 4 Colgate

Behind Sam Anas’ two goals and one assist, Quinnipiac defeated No. 4 Colgate 5-0 on Friday night at High Point Solutions Arena.

“We felt we dominated the game, the scoreboard shows that too,” Anas said. “Them coming in as the No. 4 team, they didn’t expect that to happen.”

Sam Anas got Quinnipiac’s scoring started, as he put one in the net 2:19 into the first period off the assist from Connor Clifton.

Daniel Gentzler received a minor for elbowing only two minutes later, giving the Bobcats their first power play of the game.

Anas struck again with his second goal of the game 33 seconds into the power play. Travis St. Denis and Devon Toews assisted on the goal, giving the Bobcats a 2-0 advantage with 15:10 remaining in the first period.

“Getting off to a good start in any game is important, especially against a good team like Colgate,” Anas said. “We didn’t look back from there.”

Matthew Peca nearly gave Quinnipiac a three-goal advantage, but Colgate’s Charlie Finn made a diving glove save to his left to keep the puck out of the net in the first period.

After a quiet start to the second stanza Quinnipiac extended its lead. Following passes from Travis St. Denis and Justin Agosta, Soren Jonzzon came across the left side and sent the puck through Finn’s legs to give the Bobcats the 3-0 edge with 12:41 left in the period.

The rest of the second period was filled with pushing, penalties and power plays. Brayden Sherbinen was called for boarding following a shove that sent Colgate captain Spiro Goulakos into the boards to the right of the Quinnipiac net. Less than a minute later, Toews and Ryan Johnston had to be separated following identical slashing penalties.

Colgate had 10 infractions over the course of the game, while Quinnipiac had 11.

“It’s college hockey,” Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold said. “College hockey is chippy. It’s part of the process.”

Quinnipiac extended its lead in the third period. Five minutes in, Anas found freshman Landon Smith on a breakaway. Smith flew past two Colgate defenders and lifted the puck over Finn to put the Bobcats up 4-0.

Quinnipiac scored again nearly a minute later. Tim Clifton sent the puck over Finn from the right side to make it 5-0 Bobcats.

“I wouldn’t say it was just another game, it was a big game,” Pecknold said. “It’s a big two points at home with a sellout. We were playing a top-five team in the country.”

Despite a three-point game, Anas was more concerned with the play of the team.

“I felt like we had two points as a team. I think that is all that really matters right now. Getting those two points in the ECAC is all that matters,” Anas said.

With the win, Quinnipiac improves to 4-2-1 on the season. The Bobcats are back in action on Saturday, as they host Cornell at 7 p.m.