Save the date

The start of a new semester at Quinnipiac is always exciting. Classes are beginning, friends are reunited and there are fresh faces to meet. With those changes come many opportunities for involvement at QU and in the surrounding community. The Involvement Fair took place last Wednesday, where students could sign up for a variety of clubs and organizations. Many of these kick-off meetings are happening this week, so keep an eye out for the ones that interest you.

There are many University-sponsored programs students can attend, almost always free of charge. The Student Programming Board (SPB) and QU After Dark (QUAD) have long lists of activities planned for the next few weeks to get everyone excited about this semester at QU. Keep in mind that freshmen are not allowed to take the express shuttles to New Haven until after Sept. 14, and these on-campus activities are great opportunities to get acclimated to the school.

“We are always looking to try new things and see what works on our campus, and the student voice is a huge factor in that,” said Danielle Imbriano, the president of SPB. “Every year it seems like the turnout increases at all of our events, so I expect this to continue this year, especially during the first six weeks of programming.”

SPB and QUAD are co-sponsoring a Psychic Fair on Sept. 6.  The following Sunday, Sept. 7, SPB has planned a day trip to Boston, available to 50 students.  Transportation for the event is free, but it is first come, first serve.

More trips sponsored by SPB include a Sept. 14 trip to the beach (weather-permitting) and a trip to New York City on Sept. 20 to see Idina Menzel perform in her new Broadway show, If/Then.  Discounted tickets for this event go on sale Tuesday, Sept. 9 and are $30.

Friday, Sept. 12 is the St. Baldrick’s Kick-Off at 9 p.m. in the Piazza.  St. Baldrick’s Foundation seeks to fund children’s cancer research, and many show their support for this charity by shaving their heads in March.  Learn about the cause and sign up for the event at this Kick-Off event.

Fall Fest returns on Saturday, Sept. 27 at 2 p.m. in South Lot. Jena Kramer , The Henningsens and Tyler Barham will be performing. This outdoor concert was a great success last year, so be sure to not miss it this year.

For students interested in joining a sorority, Panhellenic Recruitment begins Sept. 12 and continues on Sept. 13, 14, 20 and 21. Interested students must complete their registration and pay the $15 fee by Sept. 11.

There are also many community service opportunities available during the next few weeks. The Office of Community Service is offering two clean-ups of the Sleeping Giant State Park on Sept. 7 and 14, both at 9 a.m. Student teams will be sent to a variety of locations to volunteer on Helping Hands Day, a major QU community service effort scheduled for Sept. 27 at 8 a.m.

For those itching to get off-campus for a few hours, there are many fun places accessible by the QU shuttle system.

Hopping off the Hamden shuttle at the Shop Rite/Marshalls stop allows students to eat at places such as Panera Bread, Moe’s, Starbucks, and Ashley’s Ice Cream Café.  Johnson’s Duckpin Lanes is also accessible through that stop for students interested in bowling.  The Hamden shuttle also drops students off at Stop & Shop, located next to an Old Navy, and at an intersection of Whitney Ave. and Dixwell Ave., a few steps away from Eli’s On Whitney, a popular Hamden restaurant.

The New Haven Town & Train shuttle stops at Broadway Street, a strip of shops and restaurants near Yale University featuring an Urban Outfitters and Apple Store.  Students can catch dinner and a movie by getting off at either the Target or Barnes & Noble stops in North Haven.  Rave Cinemas is located next to Barnes and Noble, and there are many restaurants nearby, including Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster and Buffalo Wild Wings.

These are only some of the events and activities available to Quinnipiac students, both on and off-campus.  Keep an eye out for flyers and emails advertising events, ask people you know and do some research to find out more information about things that interest you.