Emily’s music corner

Before we were characterized as the over-stimulated, digital-obsessed millennial generation, we grew up during one of the most influential and enjoyable periods in music history- the ‘90s. As graduation is slowly creeping closer for us seniors, it is time to rewind and reminisce on the culture and entertainment we all know and love.

Face it, if we were to name all the pop icons and alternative music forerunners during the ‘90s, who were fantastic, we’d be here for days. Britney Spears, Third Eye Blind, Oasis, Backstreet Boys, N SYNC*… the list goes on. Whenever we hear songs from these memorable artists we are brought back to our childhood with a strong wave of nostalgia. And even though we sometimes cannot compare today’s music to the music we grew up to, we will always hold those catchy choruses and silly music videos near and dear to our hearts. The genre of teen pop, and dance-pop became startlingly popular (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Michelle Branch), the popularity of hip-hop increased (Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Outkast, Jay Z) and alternative music reached its peak of originality (Foo Fighters, Weezer, The Offspring). Every music genre pumped out world-renowned artists and songs that will forever be cherished by millennials (you know when you hear “All The Small Things” at Aunchie’s you scream at the top of your lungs).

The 1990s were not only the golden age for every music genre, but also one for music videos and electronic music players. Music videos during the ‘90s became extremely popular and music television channels such as MTV and VH1 were the supreme source for new music. Shows like TRL, Music Video Wakeup, and Making the Video gave fans an up-close and personal view into artists’ lives, music and production. The music industry also experienced a change in how music was enjoyed, as it quickly embarked on a timeline of music listening devices. Vinyl records were the platform to music listening up until the 1960s when cassette tapes were introduced. Remember walking into a Strawberries or FYE to sift through stacks and stacks of cassettes? What a time! In the 1980s compact disks and CDs were introduced, and the landscape of devices was yet again changed. CD and cassette players reigned for the most part of our childhood. Sony Walkmans and boomboxes galore. I specifically remember being so excited and feeling so cool bringing my boom box to field day in sixth grade to play my new Good Charlotte CD. In 2001 the first iPod was introduced and since then the ease and portability of listening to music has been incredible. However, we could never have gotten to this level without the immense impact of the ‘90s influence on music. People demanded the ability to listen to new music whenever and wherever, and the ‘90s paved the way to enabling this revolution.

May weekend is coming up and a ‘90s playlist is a much needed essential to living your childhood through music. Here’s a few oldies but goodies that will never get out of style! Listen to my playlist I created of ‘90s Jams on my spotify account. The link can be found below.

90’s Jams – Spotify Playlist

1)      3 am- Matchbox Twenty

2)      No Diggity- Blackstreet, Dr. Dre

3)      Save Tonight- Eagle-Eye Cherry

4)      No Scrubs- TLC

5)      Say It Ain’t So- Weezer

6)      The Freshmen- The Verve Pipe

7)      What’s Your Fantasy- Ludacris, Shawnna

8)      Found Out About You- Gin Blossoms

9)      Rosa Parks- OutKast

10)  No Rain- Blind Melon

11)   Just A Girl- No Doubt

12)   All Star- Smash Mouth

13)   Tearin’ up My Heart- N SYNC*

14)   One Week- Barenaked Ladies

15)   Blue (Da Ba Dee)- Eiffel 65

16)   Someday- Sugar Ray

17)   …Baby One More Time- B. Spears

18)   Right Here, Right Now- Fatboy Slim

19)   Fly Away- Lenny Kravitz

20)   Can I Get A…- Jay Z, Amil, Ja Rule