Women’s ice hockey scores season-high 6 goals in win

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team came into its ECAC Hockey home-opener after suffering only one loss in October.

The Bobcats recipe was scoring at a high rate and limiting opponent’s opportunities on the other end.

Chelsea Laden produced her third shutout of the season, and that trend continued as Quinnipiac went on to defeat Colgate 6-0 on Friday night at High Point Solutions Arena.

“I think we’re getting better every game,” captain Amanda Colin said. “We came in today really trying to focus on defense and trying to limit the opponents shots, and I think we did well today.”

The six goals were the most the Bobcats scored in a single game this season. Quinnipiac scored five on Oct. 11 and Oct. 19.

“The depth has been there all year, whereas in the past we have relief on just one line,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “We’re getting it from three lines this year, and the defense is chipping in, too.”

Kelly Babstock got the Bobcats on the board first, only 7:31 into the game.

Babstock corralled the puck behind the Colgate goal, emerged from behind the net and split two defenders. She then skated in front of Raiders goalie Brittany Brooks, and blasted one glove side, giving Quinnipiac the 1-0 lead.

Linemates Nicole Connery and Emma Woods were each credited with an assist. It was Babstock’s seventh goal of the season, tied for most of any Division I player so far this season.

Emma Woods then stretched the lead midway through the second period. Woods tipped it past Brooks after she recovered her own shot and netted her fifth goal of the season. Babstock was credited with an assist.

Shiann Darkangelo then added to the lead 9:19 into the second period. She tipped in her own shot, giving Quinnipiac a 3-0 lead.

Laden took care of the rest, making 19 saves in net for the Bobcats. It was her third shutout of the season.

“She was solid, she’s been solid all year,” Seeley said. “In a couple desperate situations when we were shorthanded she kind of just shut the door tonight.”

Colgate’s best scoring chance came in the end of the second period. On the power play, defesnseman Megan Wickens rung the post, and the game stayed 3-0.

Connery, Roesler and Olivia Agostinelli each added a goal for in the third period.

Connery scored 5:19 into the third. It was her fourth goal of the season. Roesler and Babstock were each given an assist.

Roesler then found the back of the net on a slap shot with under ten minutes left, stretching the lead to 5-0. Woods and Connery were each given an assist.

Ogostinelli then scored with less than three minutes left, her first of the season.

With the win Quinnipiac improves to 7-1-1 on the season. The Bobcats are at home again Saturday, as they host Cornell at 4 p.m.