Wreck: The cough on campus

As a student in my junior year of college, I have been attending Quinnipiac long enough to have 3noticed this inevitable trend where everyone seems to get sick within the first few weeks of school. It seems like no matter what you do to protect yourself, all of QU will be plagued by some widespread sickness filled with coughing fits and sore throats.

Last year I attempted to create my own safety bubble by self-prescribing acclaimed immune system boosting tablets, along with two packets of Emergen-C and a dose of vitamins daily. Despite all this, I still got sick with the typical runny nose, coughing, sneezing, and sore throat.

Earlier tonight, I heard a guy sneeze outside, all the way from my bedroom on the sixth floor in Crescent. I don’t know what kind of crazy, impenetrable viruses are going around on this campus, but sneezing that loud it is not natural.

I’m sure most of these viruses are being spread constantly via our infamously clean shuttles. It’s basically impossible to avoid getting sick, especially for those of us who use the shuttle system on a daily basis.

I already know a handful of people who are sick, myself included, so it’s only a matter of time before everyone starts rushing to the health center. And to be honest, the only upside to going to the health center is being awarded with some lozenges, and class-A cough syrup that says “QTussin” on the label. It’s basically a knock-off of Robitussin, but it’s unclear what the Q stands for. Maybe Quinnipiac Robotussin? I don’t know. Either way, I find it hilarious for some odd reason.

It’s great that Quinnipiac cares enough to make us laugh, despite our back to school illnesses, whether it was unintentional humor or not.