‘Cats move on to semis

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team advanced to the semi-finals of the ECAC tournament after upsetting No. 3 seed Clarkson this weekend.

They now have to play the top-seeded team in the ECAC, Cornell, who is also ranked No. 3 in the country.

They will play at Cornell (28-3, 20-2 ECAC) on Friday at 3:30 p.m., in what will be a loser go home game. The winner will advance to the tournament finals to play the winner of St. Lawrence and Harvard. Cornell is currently on a nine-game win streak with their last loss coming Jan. 28 to Clarkson, when they were defeated 5-3.

Cornell has had Quinnipiac’s number over the past few years, as the Bobcats have been without a win in their last twelve attempts. During that span, Quinnipiac is 0-8-4. Two of those eight losses came this season as Cornell outscored the Bobcats 11-2 in those games.

“I think the way we’ve played Cornell this year, we’ve been preparing to play them in the playoffs and that has been the goal from the beginning,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said.

The Bobcats will have to shut down ECAC Player of the Year Finalist Rebecca Johnston. The senior led the conference in scoring with 51 points on 25 goals and 26 assists.

In two meetings this season, Quinnipiac held Johnston in check, allowing her just one point on 11 Big Red goals.

After an up and down season, the Bobcats have gotten hot when it matters, winning four of their last five games, while outscoring their opponents 19-5 during the span.

Quinnipiac will need the programs all-time scoring leader, Kelly Babstock to have a huge game if they can pull off the monumental upset.
Babstock tallied nine points in the Bobcats last five games off of six goals and three assists.
They will also need junior goaltender, Victoria Vigilanti to stop the nations top offense, which averages 4.71 goals per game.

Quinnipiac will look to flip the tables on Cornell, as last year, the Big Red ended the Bobcats season by defeating them 4-3 at home in the ECAC semi-finals.