Wale’s new album lacks ‘Ambition’

Rapper Wale’s sophomore release demonstrated his clouded “Ambition.”  After leaving Interscope Records earlier this year, Wale signed with Rick Ross’s Maybach Music Group, which is home to artists such as Meek Mill, Pill and Teedra Moses. It’s clear Wale struggles between keeping up with MMG and making the music he wants. As a result, “Ambition” suffers and falls into limbo.

The album has that typical MMG kiss of approval with an unidentified sultry female cooing in the background. It’s also oversaturated with features, and that 808 bumping in the background. Signing to MMG however, does have its perks. The sophomore release was heavily promoted, hyped, funded and released at a prime time.

“Ambition” is a watered-down reflection of Wale. A more alternative version was prominent on his debut album “Attention Deficit,” and on his previously released mixtapes. A true Wale fan will actually want to buy the album, as he does stay true to his quintessential poetic flow and countless metaphors. Listeners will overlook the fact that they’ll fly through the album with only a few memorable tracks here and there.

Wale chose to include “That Way,” a song released this summer on MMG’s “Self Made Vol. 1.” The songs “Bad Girl’s Club” and “Bait” are getting increased airplay as the rerelease fizzles out.

Like every hip-hop album, “Ambition” offers tracks that show the rapper’s weakness for the ladies in “Lotus Flower Bomb,” with a feature from “Quickie” singer Miguel.  In “Sabotage,” Wale sings of the roller coaster chronicles of finding a lover in this cruel dating world.

The intensity of “Legendary” agrees with the album’s title, as Wale crowns himself “Maybach poetic genius” and spits, “Only fear is mediocrity / So every time I got a beat I feel like I don’t got to sleep / Keep praying on your break, I hope you got a sling shot for all them shots coming out them beaks / I’m sort of like Socrates in a Prada tee / You can’t kick it,  your pocket’s thinner than soccer teams.”

“Ambition” offers Wale the platform to start fresh on MMG with a new fan base, as well as the leeway to find his lost ambition.

Songs to avoid:
“White Linen (Coolin) {feat. Ne-Yo}”
“Sabotage (feat. Lloyd)”
Songs to Listen to:
“Lotus Flower Bomb”
“Chain Music (feat. Miguel)”
“Legendary”
“Ambition”