Trey Songz disappoints with mixtapes

Just in time for cuffing season, R&B artist Trey Songz decided to give fans a treat and drop two free mixtapes, “Anticipation II” and “LemmeHolDatBeat2”. Unfortunately, they were nothing but a trick.

Ironically, “Anticipation II” is not worth the anticipation it received. In 2009, Trey Songz, whose real name is Tremaine Neverson, released the original “Anticipation” mixtape. Some question why Songz didn’t just release the “Anticipation” mixtape as an album because of its high quality music displayed throughout. Songs such as “Does She Know,” “Infidelity,” and “Scratchin’ Me Up” quickly became fan favorites. The newly released “Anticipation II” attempts to recapture the magic of the original mixtape with follow-up songs such as “Still Scratchin’ Me Up” and “Me 4 U Infidelity 2.” Unfortunately, the songs just fall flat.

“LemmeHolDatBeat2,” the better of the two mixtapes, is Trey Songz embodying his alter ego “Trigga Trey” and taking his hand at rapping. This mixtape contains remixes to popular current hip-hop and rap songs such as  Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “Paris” and Drake’s “Headlines.” While the new music’s versatility is appreciated, it’s safe to say that Trey Songz should stick to R&B.

Trey’s effort, however, is undoubtedly admirable. “Anticipation” still contains the baby-making music that fans have grown accustomed to, while “LemmeHolDatBeat2” is in fact decent workout music containing lively beats, catchy lyrics and great wordplay. As a Trey Songz fan and R&B lover, maybe I’ve put too much importance on these mixtapes. Mr. Neverson gets a pass this time because he’s extremely attractive, these are only mixtapes, and most importantly, his albums have never failed to impress.