Zurevinski sparks win over Ohio State [Video]

Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey junior captain Scott Zurevinski told the Chronicle last week he didn’t accept an entry-level contract with the Vancouver Canucks because he needed more time playing in school to round out his game. Zurevinski took a step in that direction in Quinnipiac’s season opener Friday night at the TD Bank Sports Center, as he set the tone in a 2-1 win over Ohio State.

Zurevinski netted a wide open shot from in front of the net with close to three minutes remaining in the first period to give the Bobcats a 1-0 lead. After Ohio State tied the score early in the third period, Quinnipiac junior forward Spencer Heichman delivered the game-winner at the halfway point of the third.

Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold said his team had plenty of things to improve on despite picking up the win in its season opener.

“We got a lot of issues in our neutral zone,” Pecknold said. “We weren’t doing a nice job. We had issues with our gap. We just need to get better.”

After a scoreless second period, the Buckeyes did not wait long to get things going in the third period. Forty-eight seconds into the third period, Sergio Somma scored for Ohio State, tying the game at one.

Heichman deked his way through the Ohio State defense and scored for Quinnipiac at the 9:48 mark to give Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead. Quinnipiac didn’t look back from there, as the Bobcats held on for the victory.

Quinnipiac hosts Ohio St. again tonight, and Pecknold said his team needs to improve on certain aspects.

“We’ve had five practices, as has Ohio State. It was a sloppy game but it’s a typical early season game. I thought both teams competed hard, you know we probably just got one more break than them.”

Photo credit: Vanessa Stier / Video courtesy, QU Athletics