Lacrosse holds on for 13-8 win over Sacred Heart

With five goals in the fourth quarter, the Bobcats held on to defeat Sacred Heart 13-8 on Tuesday and ran their winning streak to two games. Junior attacker Christian Haggerty led the Bobcats with five goals, his second straight five-point game after gathering five assists against Bellarmine.

In the fourth, it was all Bobcats, scoring five times to pull away. Haggerty started the fourth with his fifth of the game, followed by sophomore midfielder Zach Pall scoring to give the Bobcats’ a four-goal lead. Two straight goals from the Pioneers cut the lead in half, but the Bobcats didn’t fold. They scored the last three goals to come away with the 13-8 victory.

Haggerty got the Bobcats (7-5) going in the first quarter, scoring the first two goals of the game. A little under a minute after Haggerty’s second goal, junior attacker Jack Oppenheimer extended the lead to 3-0. Freshman midfielder Basil Kostaras sent a pass to Oppenheimer who was sitting at the top of the crease and he ripped it into the back of the net.

After a Pioneer goal cut the lead to two, Haggerty and Oppenheimer again scored less than a minute apart. Haggerty fired a shot from straight on that snuck past the goaltender.  Thirty seconds later, Oppenheimer scored his second of the game off a feed from junior midfielder Kevin Kelly.

Another Pioneer goal cut the lead to 5-2, but Oppenheimer feeded senior midfielder Garett Kerr to add on to the lead. Less than a minute later junior midfielder Billy Alessi fed Haggerty from behind the net for his fourth goal of the first half.

But the Pioneers scored the last goal of the half and the first two of the third quarter to cut the Bobcats’ lead to two. Oppenheimer responded with his third goal to extend the lead back to three. The Pioneers again scored the last goal of the quarter to enter the fourth down by just two goals.

The Bobcats return home on Saturday when they take on Bryant in a non-conference matchup.