Almost Golf fundraiser triples last year’s earnings

For the second year in a row, students at Quinnipiac University gathered on the Quad for a day of golf…almost.

The men of Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) and the Student Programming Board put on the second annual Almost Golf event on Saturday, April 24.

Almost Golf is TKE’s philanthropy event to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Hospital. The event featured a driving range, eight-hole golf course, raffles, food, and music. There was supposed to be an inflatable twister and a mini-golf course, but due to the inclement weather last week the event had to be rescheduled, making these extra activities unavailable.

The event raised $400, according to TKE President Matt Goddard. This comes a year after raising $120 at last year’s Almost Golf event.

Additionally, money raised for St. Jude Children’s Hospital comes from donations from family members and friends who received letters from students.

From April 12-23, TKE set up a table in the student center where letters could be filled out and mailed. The recipient of the letter was given information about St. Jude Children’s Hospital and asked to send a donation in the amount of their choice.

For each letter a student filled out, they received two free entries into raffles at the event.

“The raffles included a $50 gift certificate to the bookstore, $20 Target gift certificate, a picnic basket filled with items, a spa treatment, and various clothing gift certificates,” Goddard said.

The raffles were awarded at the conclusion of Almost Golf.

A round of golf could be played for $5 and a bucket of balls could be purchased for $5 as well.

“We used reduced flight golf balls for the driving range and the golf course so that you could hit the balls around campus,” said junior TKE member Adam Hebert.

The balls travel one-third the actual distance, allowing games to be played on locations like the Quad. Students joining the fun could bring their own clubs to play with, but clubs were also supplied at the event.

A person purchasing both a $5 round of golf and $5 bucket of balls would receive free food and drinks. Otherwise, hamburgers, hot dogs, and sausages could be purchased for $2 a piece and drinks for $1 a piece.

The event was open to the entire community, although members of the fraternity agreed that mainly individuals in Greek life showed their support.

Christen Samuels of Kappa Alpha Theta attended the event with members of her sorority.

“It is important to support other organization’s philanthropy events,” Samuels said.