Men’s tennis rolls by BU, 5-2

The Quinnipiac men’s tennis team picked up its seventh victory of the season as the Bobcats dispatched the Boston University Terriers 5-2. Senior John Hughes and freshman Andrew Weeden both had two victories on the afternoon.

The Bobcats opened up the meet by winning two of their three doubles matches to seize the doubles point. Brian Mikkelson and James Kwei put on a fiery performance to battle for the victory at the number one doubles spot. After dropping two consecutive games and losing a slim lead, the duo won four games in a row to close out the match 8-5.

Weeden and Hughes paired up for an easy win over their BU opponents, 8-2. Charlie Feldman and Dillon Kraus dropped a close contest to Bill Kring and Alex Green of BU, 8-5.

BU picked up one of their two points after Mikkelson was forced to retire in the first set due to a recurring injury.

“Mikkelson didn’t quite get injured there,” Quinnipiac head coach Mike Quitko said. “He’s been injured and quite honestly we made a judgment call. [Sunday] is a conference match and today’s not.”

Garrett Lane breezed by Regis Chang, 6-1, 6-1, at the number four slot and John Hughes made quick work of Alex Hallenbeck, 6-2, 6-4, for his 11th win of the season. Weeden and Feldman both picked up victories in straight sets to propel the Bobcats to their seventh win of the season.

Quitko was pleased with his team’s effort against the Terrier squad.

“Boston University is well-coached and is a solid ball club,” Quitko said. “We used some depth today. I think all in all it was a successful day. We’re ready. I mean we’re as banged up as everybody this time of year, but we’re ready.”

The squad has one regular season meet against Stony Brook on Tuesday before entering the NEC Championships in West Windsor, N.J.

Photo credit: Joe Pelletier