Men’s ice hockey notches second straight shutout

For the first time since 2005, the Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team recorded a shutout in consecutive games. Friday night’s 5-0 victory over St. Lawrence, a follow-up to last Saturday’s 2-0 win over Colgate, makes Quinnipiac the only team in ECAC Hockey to have consecutive shutouts this season.

Freshman Mike Dalhuisen scored his first career goal as a Bobcat, putting Quinnipiac on the board just under eight minutes into the game. His original shot on net from the point was deflected and eventually picked up by senior Greg Holt, who spotted Dalhuisen by the post. Dalhuisen moved to the top of the crease and one-timed the puck past the Saint goalie Kain Tisi. It was the first of three assists for Holt.

Continuing the trend, freshman forward Clay Harvey also scored his first goal for Quinnipiac, advancing the lead to 2-0 at the 4:37 mark of the second period. Freshman Zach Currie’s one-timer from the point was tipped past Tisi by Harvey, who was stationed in front of the net. Harvey became the 20th Bobcat to score a goal this season, the first time twenty different Quinnipiac players have scored in a season since the 2006-07 season.

Team-leading goal scorer, senior Brandon Wong, tallied his fifteenth goal of the season off a power play just 21 seconds into the third period. Junior Zach Hansen handled the puck from the point before sliding a pass to Holt, who was moving into the slot. Upon retrieval, Holt swiftly dropped a pass behind him, where Wong received the puck and one-timed it over the left shoulder of Tisi.

The rest of the final period resulted in two more Quinnipiac goals. Freshman D’Arcy Oakes scored his fourth goal of the season at the 10:44 mark, while Holt and senior Eric Lampe were credited with assists. Lampe passed to Holt, and Holt’s shot on goal was rebounded and picked up by Oakes, who beat Tisi with a quick shot. Senior Mike Atkinson scored his eighth goal of the season with just under eight minutes of play remaining in regulation. Langlois registered the assist.

Quinnipiac faces off against Clarkson in another ECAC Hockey matchup on the road today at 4 p.m.