Volleyball falls to Providence

The Quinnipiac women’s volleyball team waited seemingly all year to play its first home game. After enduring 19 straight road losses and rumors that their program may be cut from QU Athletics, the Bobcats were more than ready to be back home last Wednesday night against Providence. Unfortunately for the ‘Cats, a little home cooking wasn’t enough to propel them over the Friars, as they dropped a 3-0 contest.

In front of an estimated 750 fans, the biggest volleyball crowd at Burt Kahn Court in several years, the Bobcats dropped three consecutive games to PC, 30-22, 30-16 and 35-33. Pacing the ‘Cats were Jenna Benigno and Stephanie Conde with seven kills each.

Quinnipiac held the lead several times in the first game but the Friars were able to pull away in the end with a 30-22 victory. After being outplayed from the start of game two, the Bobcats bounced back in game three to play one of their most competitive and hard-fought games of the season.

The Bobcats took a 24-23 lead on a Providence attacking error and continued to trade points until a Friar setting error tied the game at 33. The Friars quickly retaliated with two quick points that wrapped up the match and dropped Quinnipiac to 0-20 on the season. With the win, PC improved to 8-13.

After the match, head coach Sue Medley was happy to be playing at home for the first time all year.

“It was a good experience [playing at home],” Medley said. “I was very pleased and excited with the crowd. Event management did a great job.”

Although the ‘Cats lost the match, Medley saw a lot of good things from her squad, but also noted there was room for improvement.

“We have to work on coming out with the intention of taking it to a team,” she said. “We need to build on game three and demand that of every game.”

Conde, a senior co-captain, also saw things that she and her teammates need to work on.

“It’s about being consistent,” Conde said. “When it comes time to kick it, we will.”

Since that loss came to the Friars, Quinnipiac has played two more matches. After dropping a match to Northeast Conference foe LIU, the Bobcats evened their NEC record with their first win of the year, a 3-0 victory over St. Francis (N.Y.).