The wonders of Whitney Ave.

It happens every day: you’re on your way to class early to get an ever elusive parking spot on campus and all of the sudden, your stomach growls. You’re starving.

Luckily, there are plenty of dining institutions located en route to Quinnipiac that are convenient for most commuters. Whether you’re looking for breakfast, lunch or dinner, Whitney Avenue in Hamden has you covered.

What better way to start off your morning than with a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich or a muffin? One of the most popular spots to grab a quick breakfast is Dunkin’ Donuts of which there are two on Whitney Avenue.

“I love coffee and need it to function,” said Dina Rocco, a senior advertising major.

The drive-thru is conveniently located next to another solid breakfast choice: Whitney Donut. Both offer various flavors of coffee like French vanilla, hazelnut, blueberry, and chocolate in addition to an array of bagels, muffins, donuts and breakfast sandwiches.

For those mid-afternoon classes, your best bet for a brief lunch is Ray and Mike’s Dairy and Deli. The deli’s sandwiches are famous at Quinnipiac for being fresh and delicious. The steak and cheese subs and buffalo chicken sandwiches are always a good bet.

Geoff Read, a senior public relations major, says he even saves money by eating at Ray and Mike’s.

“Ray and Mike’s is really close and has a good reputation and sandwiches,” Read said. “It’s also cheaper than eating at the school.”

If pizza’s what you’re craving, Whitney Avenue is still where it’s at. Primo Pizza, Action Billiards and Domino’s are classics in the area. While they’re best known for their speedy delivery service, each pizza place also offers walk-in service.

Got time to sit down for dinner or lunch before class? There’s the Quinnipiac hotspot, Side Street, which is right off of Whitney Avenue on Dickerman Avenue. The restaurant’s hilarious (and lengthy) menu will keep you entertained throughout your meal. Side Street is known for its heaping portions and award-winning buffalo wings.

Another popular choice among QU students is Eli’s Brick Oven & Market. Eli’s offers brick oven pizza and an extensive selection of Italian deli-style sandwiches. There is also a market attached for on-the-go eaters.

Before getting to campus and having to deal with finding a spot in North Lot, treat yourself to something sweet. Wentworth Old Fashioned Ice Cream is known for its homemade ice-cream. Wentworth’s has sundaes with a variety of toppings and shakes in just about any flavor imaginable.