Volleyball drops third straight to Canisius

Continuing a losing streak from its previous two games, Quinnipiac women’s volleyball team lost 3-1 to the Canisius College Golden Griffins at the Burt Kahn Court on Sunday.

“They’re worn out and they’re tired from losing,” Quinnipiac assistant coach Caitlin Stapleton said. “But they still have heart in them.”

The first set was evenly matched offensively; Quinnipiac recorded 15 kills, while Canisius had 16 kills of their own.

Eventually, Quinnipiac found itself down 19-14 before a timeout sparked a comeback. The Bobcats managed to bring the score close, but fell two points short, losing the first set 26-24.

Although juniors Sam Alechko and Katie Urycki had multiple blocks and kills, the Bobcats could not contain Canisius’ great hitting in the second set, and were downed 25-13.

“We should be a little bit scrappier on defense,” Quinnipiac head coach Kris Czaplinski said. “Just read a little bit better and make sure our body hits the floor before the ball does.”

After the break, Quinnipiac recovered in the third set. Urycki and freshman Kat Miller both swatted three kills on offense, while sophomore Sierra Dawson put up five assists and six digs defensively.

The Bobcats would hold off the Golden Griffins and take the set by a score of 25-22.

“I think we started to make less errors, our hitters started to hit more, and they had more fight in them,” Stapleton said. “Everyone is playing all different positions and it’s forcing people to step up.”

Quinnipiac would try to ride the momentum from the third set into the fourth, but could not capitalize on opportunities.

Five kills from Urycki and Elizabeth Kloos would bring the Bobcats close to a victory, however the Golden Griffiths would bring an end to the Bobcats rally and go on a run of their own, with Canisius ending the game on a 7-2 run.

Stapleton sympathizes for her players after a great effort.

“I can’t imagine how hard that’s been on them,” Stapleton said. “They’re fighting every single day and come back stronger.”

“I see them trying to lead and trying to change the culture out there, I think they’re doing an amazing job out there, the best they can with the circumstances.”

Czaplinski acknowledged the positives from the loss as well.

“They keep pushing each other to get better and that’s kind of what every coach wants in any situation, in any sport,” Czaplinski said. “As long as people are fighting for spots, it keeps them competitive, it gives them something to look forward to, and as long as we can keep doing that we’re gonna be in good shape.”

Next up, Quinnipiac faces the University of Hartford on Wednesday at home in hopes of continuing to battle and putting an end to their losing streak.