Health watch: ‘Medi cab’ helps students on the road to recovery

It’s the middle of the day, and you’re out of your prescription pills. You need a refill but all your friends who have cars on campus are in class and you have no one to turn to, who can you call? The Health Service’s van, that’s who.

The Health Service’s van which is affectionately referred to as the “Medi Cab” by its drivers, is completely free of charge and is offered to and Quinnipiac student in need of transportation to health-related destinations such as the pharmacy or a doctor’s office.

“We take students to the pharmacy, x-ray’s dentist’s office, physical therapy,” said Kathryn Macaione, the Director of Student Health Services. “Pharmacy runs have become so popular we set aside two scheduled trips just for there.”

Admire Krvavac, a senior business major, and health van driver of 4 years is happy to provide the useful service to the campus.

“I think it’s a necessity to have [the health van] and also the best work-study job on campus,” he said. “I get to help people out when they need it, but I also get to relax until I am given an assignment.”

So who are the drivers? After a very selective process and an agreement to remain substance free Director of Student Health Services Kathryn Macaione makes her decision.

“Students must have a valid drivers license, with no points, any minor in facture would cause for disqualification,” Macaione said.

According to driver Brian Simons the most important quality to have for this job is people skills. “You really need to be able to get a long with people, because that is what this job is about; working with and helping people.” said Simons, sophomore physical therapy major

However for a service that has been operating for over 30 years, few students on campus are aware of its existence, making the Health Service drivers’ duties to a minimum. “Most of the time, its pretty quiet, so people get what they need pretty quickly,” said Brian Simmons, sophomore physical therapy major.

The small mini van makes trips all over the greater New Haven area for students in need of health services beyond what Quinnipiac Health Services can offer. The van’s hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday.

“We will go outside of our regular hours in cases of emergency, however if it is too severe we may call an ambulance. If a student has to stay over night, our drivers will pick the next morning and bring them back to campus” said Macaione

Its main purpose to provide help to students who cannot attain their medical needs due to lack of transportation to off campus destinations. It is completely free of charge and students are encouraged to use it, but not abuse it.

“It’s better then the service provided by the Quinnipiac Shuttles because it’s door-to -door service. It’s just like a taxi, only free,” Krvavac said.

Although Quinnipiac Health Service’s often feels crammed for space here on campus their ability to provide assistance to the community both on and beyond campus continues to be a success, “offering services many universities don’t have,” Macaione said.