Chronicle Athletes of the Week: Jenna Nechamen and Jamie Bates

Jenna Nechamen
Sport: Track & Cross Country
Class: Senior
Hometown: Salem, Conn.
Major: Occupational Therapy

Nechamen earns her first Chronicle Athlete of the Week award after establishing a new personal best in the 3,000-meter race at the BU Terrier Classic meet in Boston on Jan. 28. The senior harrier edged out Yale’s Elizabeth Calle and was clocked at 10:17.12.

“It felt good to cross the line,” Nechamen said. “I tried to stay relaxed in the race, and just wanted to save what I had until the end, and it was nice to go along with the whole pack the whole race.”

Nechamen’s outstanding race typified what was essentially a career performance for the Bobcats. Four athletes attained personal records on an afternoon that was highlighted by Katie Gwyther’s third-place finish in the talent-stacked 3,000. Gwyther’s time of 9:18.21 provisionally qualified the senior for the NCAA championships in the 3K.

Nechamen’s time shattered her previous best by nearly 10 seconds.

“It was nice to shave that much off,” Nechamen said. “My goal for the 3K is to hopefully get the ECAC mark which is 9:59. It’s not that far off.”

She managed to clock this personal record while also anchoring a distance medley relay team that would leave many opponents in the dust. Junior Erin O’Connell led off and Nechamen sealed the deal as Quinnipiac placed fourth, fending off Wheaton and Fordham.

Nechamen will also look to reach the ECAC mark in the mile. She missed the mark by just one second after running a 5:02 mile at URI back on Jan. 20.

Jamie Bates
Sport: Hockey
Class: Sophomore
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario
Major: Finance

Bates, who scored 22 goals and registered 35 assists during a one-year stay with the Wexford Raiders prior to inking with Quinnipiac in 2004, has turned many heads during the Bobcats’ inaugural season in the ECAC.

A year after establishing himself as one of the premier rookies in Atlantic Hockey, he’s stepped into a larger role on the ice this season. Bates has already surpassed his 17-point total (six goals, 11 assists) from last season.

“Coming into the season, I had a lot of high expectations for myself,” Bates said following the Bobcats’ 6-1 victory over league foe Clarkson at the Northford Ice Pavilion on Friday night.

“I know I had an alright year last year, but I knew I could definitely produce more. Our line has just been working real hard and we’re getting some good results right now, and we’re just playing with a lot of confidence.”

Bates has had the privilege of representing Quinnipiac multiple times this season. He’s been named to the ECACHL Weekly Honor Roll three times this season, with his most recent accolade coming on Jan. 30.

Bates was honored after tallying four points while the Bobcats split games with Niagara. He scored a critical goal on a shot between the circles and assisted on Brian Leitch’s game-winner in a 5-2 victory on Jan. 28.

He has emerged into the team’s third-leading scorer with 26 points on 14 goals and 12 assists. He contributed key assists on Ben Nelson and Leitch goals during the first period of Saturday’s 3-1 victory over visiting St. Lawrence.