Senior Sendoff

I started writing for The Chronicle during the spring semester of my freshman year. A friend knew I was uncertain about my major, which was English at the time, and encouraged me to write for the school paper. I was hesitant, but today I am so thankful that I listened.

I gradually became more and more interested and involved in The Chronicle. I always liked writing, but I didn’t know what I wanted to do with it. I switched my major to media studies and then—eventually—switched to print journalism, which continues to be my major to this day. I’m glad I was introduced to The Chronicle because if I wasn’t, I’d probably still be lost.

I’ve spent so much time writing, editing and working for The Chronicle that I couldn’t even fathom it into numbers. I have no idea how many hours of work it would amount to, but I think that’s what makes it so special. It’s pure devotion. No one forced me to do it. And no one made me stay. It was all me and my own motivation, my own free will to be a part of something bigger than myself.

The Chronicle is a lot of work. I think this is something that goes completely unnoticed by the majority of the student body. Unless they witness it firsthand, people would never know how hard we all work to put out the best issue possible each and every week. Even when other people are preparing for midterms or preparing to go home for a holiday, the rest of us are working our asses off to make sure the issue is in good shape for publication the following week. I can’t really explain why we do it. It’s just kind of addicting.

What we do is art. That’s sounds really cheesy and stupid especially coming from me since I’m never sentimental about anything. But seriously, everyone who works for The Chronicle cares so much about what we put out. We don’t believe in publishing something that isn’t worthwhile. If we’re not satisfied with something, we stick with it. We stick with it until we’re pulling our hair out and wanting to scream, but we stick with it until it’s the best it can possibly be. That’s art.

I learned a lot from the Chronicle. Sure, I learned how to do a lot of technical stuff related to my major. Things like how to use InDesign, AP style, editing, communication, management and leadership skills, to name a few. But I also learned more important things like how to be myself.

In the beginning, I didn’t want to write because I didn’t like it when people read my work. In fact, I never even called it “my work” because I never thought my writing was good enough to be considered “work.” It was always just silly things I wrote on a computer. Not quality. But The Chronicle opened my eyes and showed me that I was being insecure.

As a freshman and sophomore, I opened up the more I gained praise from my editors for my “work” and it was exciting. It made me come out of my shell and to be firm in who I am. Now I write and say whatever I feel like, as most Chronicle members may know (just read every wreck I’ve ever written on quchronicle.com).

All I can say is if you like writing then write. You don’t have to write for The Chronicle like I did if you don’t want. Just make sure you keep writing because writing will keep you company in times of loneliness. It will always be by your side, reminding you of who you are. I still don’t know what I want to do in life, but I’m sure if I keep writing, one day I’ll find the answer.