Women’s volleyball loses fourth straight

Womens volleyball loses fourth straight

The Quinnipiac women’s volleyball team lost its fourth straight game on Sunday, Oct. 5 to Siena College. The loss comes after Quinnipiac dropped three straight sets to Marist College on Saturday.

The Saints defeated the Bobcats, 25-22, 25-17 and 25-23 in the three sets to pick up the victory, dropping Quinnipiac’s conference record to 0-5 on the year. Katie Urycki led the team with 11 kills, which is her eighth double-digit kill performance this year.

The Bobcats have now dropped 12 straight sets dating back to the Fairfield game on Sept. 27.

“We got to start focusing on the process,” Quinnipiac head coach Kristopher Czaplinski said. “We’re looking too ahead. We’re looking to the win or the loss, we have to focus on individual performances. Making sure that you’re doing the right things, passing the right things, and blocking.”

Injuries have hurt the team’s depth chart throughout the season, but now that conference play is in stride, it is important that the players stick to the fundamentals of the game to help put the team in the win column.

“If we can start focusing more on fundamentals I think the confidence will come,” Czaplinski said. “That starts in practice and there’s some good talk going around right now but they realize that they’re not giving everything they can right now and until they do then it will start coming out in games.”

Czaplinksi is also frustrated knowing that the talent lies within the team that he lines up game in and game out. Urycki and Allison Leigh are both putting up impressive sophomore seasons, with Leigh putting up another impressive performance in front of the net today. She finished the game with four blocks.

“Talent is the farthest thing from the problem right now,” Czaplinski said. “It’s making sure that we focus on the process and get some confidence. Coaches are shocked that they’re beating us. The adjustments don’t need to be made with our end. They need to be made with our confidence because we have all the talent in the world.”

In order for this team to move forward and succeed, this young team has to make their presence known and start adjusting to the style of the league.

“We’re a very young team and I think we’re losing these games because of that,” Czaplinski said. “Right now they have an opportunity to start right away and the process is getting away from them. There’s a lot of stuff that we got to do within ourselves.”

The Bobcats return to action on Wednesday, Oct. 5 when they look to get back on track against Siena. The teams are set to play at 7 p.m. at the Alumni Recreation Center in Loundonville, N.Y.