Viruses, bacteria, germs

Being sick during the school year is almost always frustrating.

There are countless factors that can affect someone’s health. But, learning about how to avoid getting sick can decrease the chances of catching the common cold; because let’s face it, no one wants to spend their day coughing and sneezing or suffering from a sore throat and nausea symptoms.

As the colder seasons start approaching, more people will get sick. But, the first step to living a sick-free semester is staying clean and being mindful of others who may be ill in your environment.

As the saying goes: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Although apples are not the cure for being sick, eating lots of fruits and vegetables is crucial to preventing illnesses. Fruits and vegetables are like the superheroes of staying healthy because of the mass amounts of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants they provide to help build up the immune system, according to The Dairy Council of California.

According to WebMD, another way to prevent a cold or the flu is by eating foods that contain phytochemicals, the natural chemicals in plants that assist with a vitamin boost.

“Put away the vitamin pill, and eat dark green, red, and yellow vegetables and fruits,” WebMD states.

After all, there is only so much that vitamin supplements can do, so whenever fresh fruits or vegetables are available, take full advantage and keep your health in mind, WebMD suggests.

Although there is no full-proof remedy for a cold, there are some other helpful tips to ensure a faster recovery. Getting a good amount of sleep and resting helps one to feel better and fights the cold.

Sophomore Hannah Perlroth says she just recovered from a cold.

“Being sick is an awful feeling,” Perlroth said. “That is why tons of sleep, including naps, help me feel better so that I can continue with my life.”

Water and tea are always good options to drink while sick because they hydrate the body and provide minerals that can only be gained from liquids, according to WebMD. When dehydrated and tired, a person’s immune system becomes weaker. So taking care of yourself is the best way to fight a cold; take naps in between classes, drink plenty of water and tea, and always remember to make choices that will only aid you in feeling better.

Preventing illness on campus can also be as simple as keeping your hands clean. The Better Health Channel’s website offers information about washing hands.

“Washing your hands properly can help prevent the spread of the organisms that cause these diseases,” the Better Health Channel website states.

Illness such as influenza and gastrointestinal infections can be prevented through routine handwashing, according to Better Health Channel.

But these tips might only help so much. If home or natural remedies do not help fight the sickness within a week, the university encourages students to visit the Health Center on campus for a second opinion. The 24-hour center is a good place to turn to if symptoms get worse or if medication needs to be prescribed during the cold and flu season.

Sophomore Jordan Burnell thinks the Health Center is convenient for students.

“The Health Center is a quick fix to your common medical needs,” Burnell said. “Especially because you do not have access to your doctor on campus.”