UMass Lowell defeats field hockey on late goal

Behind two goals and an assist from midfielder Christa Doiron, UMass Lowell defeated the Quinnipiac field hockey team 3-2 at the QU Field Hockey Turf Complex on Tuesday afternoon.

The Bobcats gave up the lead quickly when UMass defender Fiona Fitzgerald scored at 27:56.

Quinnipiac bounced back quickly, though, on a goal from sophomore Lea Dietrichs a minute into the second half. The ball was fed to the top of the circle on a penalty corner, and Danielle Allen center it to Dietrichs who blasted it into the back of the net to tie the game 1-1.

Doiron then scored her first goal of the day 13 minutes into the second half, putting UMass Lowell up 2-1.

Quinnipiac knotted things up once again just three minutes later, as Michelle Federico poked one in from the right post to make it 2-2. It was Federico’s first goal of the season.

Quinnipiac would ultimately fall on Doiron’s second goal of the game, which just barely slipped under a diving Megan Conaboy at 65:52.

“[We need to] stop making excuses, we should have won these last two games,” said Quinnipiac coach Becca Main. “I thought we got beat by a team today that was more into it and more physical at the end and really wanted the win.”

Main said that her older players need to step up in order for the Bobcats to break their current two-game losing streak.

“My freshmen are playing well beyond their years, and my seasoned veterans are exhausted,” Main said. “Most of our mistakes are coming from the older level, and there is only a certain expectation for freshmen.”

With the loss, the Bobcats fall to 1-5 on the season. Quinnipiac’s next game is Sunday at home against Vermont, and is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.