Men’s soccer shut out by Boston College

The Quinnipiac men’s soccer team struggled on offense yet again, as it fell to Boston College by the final score of 2-0 Thursday afternoon. It was the team’s third loss of the 2014 season.

The Bobcats were held scoreless for their third-straight game, and have not been able to capitalize on scoring chances in 2014.

“We just need to be a little bit more composed in front of the goal,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa said. “We’re creating some chances, and if you’re not creating chances you’re worried. But our build-up play has been good, our possession has been good. We’ve created some very good looks at goal. We had the better of the chances today.”

The Bobcat defense was able to keep Boston College’s attack out of the box for most of the first half. But with 3:33 left on the clock, Derrick Boateng took the ball up on his own account and drilled a shot from the top of the box past Quinnipiac goaltender Borja Angoitia to make it 1-0.

“They had a couple (opportunities) and they put them away, we had several and we didn’t,” Da Costa said. “That’s soccer. You don’t always walk away and the best team wins, it’s the team that’s most efficient and the team that capitalizes on their chances.”

The score remained 1-0 for most of the second half, until Isaac Normesinu took a well-placed pass from Boateng and chipped the ball over Angoitia’s head into the back of the net, making it 2-0.

Quinnipiac’s attack hasn’t been able to create many goals thus far, which has a lot to do with the new cast of scorers on its roster.

“It’s all about training,” Da Costa said. “Our three central midfielders are all new to the team and new to the program. It’s going to take them some time to get on the same page. Soccer is very much a team game and it’s about being fluid and being mobile. At the same time, there has to be an understanding between players making the right runs in order to receive the right pass.”

Quinnipiac looks to get back on track Sunday, when it will host Providence University at 2:30 p.m.

“We’ll have to take our lumps along the way and it’s going to be a little bit of a learning curve but it’s a process that we have to go through as a team,” Da Costa said.