Arrest made in laptop case

Nicholas Liguori, a former facilities employee of Quinnipiac University, has been charged with 10 criminal counts for the theft of several laptop computers from the Quinnipiac campus.

Liguori is charged with five counts of burglary in the third degree, a class D felony, as well as five counts of larceny in the third degree.

Beginning last November and continuing through the academic year, at least seven faculty laptops were stolen from locked faculty offices across campus.

At least three laptops were stolen from the School of Communications, two from the College of Liberal Arts, one from Buckman Center, and one from Tator Hall.

A male at Liguori home who answered the phone refused to comment Monday about the case.

Currently, Liguori is out on a total of $7500 of professional bond.

John Twining, chief of security and public safety at Quinnipiac, described cracking the case as a “team effort.”

He said his department and the Hamden Police Department, particularly the detectives bureau, developed strong cooperation “and got done what needed to be done.”

Twining said security developed Liguori as a suspect and then handed the results of the investigation to the Hamden Police. However, Twining was quick to say that the entire case was a strong partnership between the two entities.

Several of the laptops that were stolen from the faculty offices last year were recovered, according to Twining, who could not specify the exact number. He said that the laptops, which were owned by the university and loaned to the faculty for academic work, are currently being held as evidence as part of the investigation.

Twining said during the investigation the two departments “developed an excellent case against [Liguori.] My people did an excellent job,” he said.

Twining said, however, it was unfortunate that he had to wait for so many laptops to be stolen before finding the pattern. After discovering the pattern, Twining said, “We picked up and ran.”

Hans D. Bergmann, dean of the college of liberal arts, is happy with the results of the investigation.

“I am glad they got the guy,” he said. “I commend John Twining for carrying on an investigation.”

Peter Sumby, associate director of the Ed McMahon Communications Center and a victim of laptop theft last year feels safe on campus again.

“I feel glad that the security department was able to find the person responsible,” he said.

Sumby said he was very glad the case was not something that went beyond Quinnipiac security or the Hamden Police Department.

Liguori is scheduled to appear in Meriden Superior Court on Sept. 29.