News outside the Quinnipiac campus

Russia invades Ukraine

Russian forces invaded and took over the peninsula of Crimea in the Ukraine on Sunday, according to CNN. The Russian Prime Minister called this a declaration of war, but the United States and its allies want to punish Russia both economically and politically, according to CNN. Russia’s actions will “negatively impact Russia’s standing in the international community,” according to President Obama. Secretary of State John Kerry arrived in the Ukraine Tuesday and is working to help the Ukraine. Questions are already arising about what actions the United States will take against Russia and its president Vladimir Putin.

New Haven catches fire

A large fire broke out in a multi-family home in New Haven late Saturday night, leaving five children and five adults homeless. The cause of the fire is still under investigation; however, officials believe the fire began on the first floor of the home. The fire was “labor intensive,” according to the New Haven Fire Chief Michael Grant, and firefighters continued to work even after the fire was put out to ensure nothing rekindled inside the walls. The home was not completely destroyed, but the families must relocate for a great while before the home will be safe to live in.

Man mispronounced dead

Officials pronounced Mississippi man Walter Williams dead at his home Wednesday, but the next day he was found alive, according to CNN. At around 9 p.m. Wednesday with no pulse, medics made the announcement that Williams was dead. When Williams was taken to the funeral home the next day and the workers were beginning to work on him, he began kicking inside the body bag, trying to get out, a source told CNN. Williams was immediately rushed to the hospital. Hospital officials believe that the defibrillator may have kick-started the man’s heart. Videos on CNN show Williams’ children overjoyed with the news they have not lost their father.