Skin Savers

Cold weather in the northeast means being reintroduced to a lot of great things that were forgotten during the summer months. Winter means marshmallows in your hot chocolate, snowflakes and wearing scarves. But the below-freezing temperatures can also mean cracked and dry skin, chapped lips and staticy hair, but it doesn’t always have to be this way. – S. Kozlowski

Best Chapstick:“Burt’s Bees always does wonders for my lips,” Kyle Gallatin, a junior, said. Burts Bees Nourishing chapstick has ingredients such as sunflower oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil alone makes a great dupe for chapstick. You can buy sunflower or coconut oil at organic food stores and also get more bang for your buck.

Best Anti-Static: Hair gets super dry and staticy in the winter. The bathroom stalls at Quinnipiac seem to be attracted to staticy hair and makes it stick up even more. Hair always acts like a magnet and sticks to the door, which can be frustrating. Instead of buying expensive anti-static hair products, try using dryer sheets! Just rub them on you hair and it gets rid of the static, plus you’ll smell like fresh laundry, which could be a good or bad thing, not sure.

Best Daily Lotion: “In general, your skin is driest in winter, when temperatures and humidity levels plummet,” Mayo Clinic states on their website. Tori Eigner, a junior, says she likes using Aveeno’s “daily moisturizing lotion” on a regular basis. Aveeno’s website lists it as a bestseller with a 4.8 rating out of five stars. “It’s really thick, but rubs in smooth and moisturizes my skin all year round,” Eigner said.

Best Self-Tanner: These winter months also mean daylight savings, which means less exposure to sunlight and pale skin. Attaining a soft glow and slight tan can be easy and inexpensive. Cosmopolitan magazine compiled a list of some of the best self-tanners. Jergens Natural Glow & Protect was rated in the top 8 best self-tanners of 2013 by Cosmopolitan.

Skin Care 101

There are numerous causes of dry skin. Below are a few reasons your skin might be drying out, according to Mayo Clinic.

-dry air caused by indoor heating

-hot showers

-harsh soaps

-sun exposure