Staying safe on spring break: some safety tips for students

The time has finally come. In just one week Quinnipiac students will be busting down the doors and heading to a variety of destinations for spring break. Here are some useful safety tips, courtesy of CollegeSafe.com’s Student Travel Safety Guide, for students who will be traveling.

If you are going to be driving, check to make sure everything is well-maintained on the car, especially if you will be driving long distances. Also, keep a first-aid kit, snacks, AAA information and some type of extra clothing in case the car breaks down and you have to walk or stay in one place for an extended period of time.

Bring your health insurance card and allergy medications just in case of an emergency.

Do not have your name or address visible on luggage tags or even on magazines you are reading, especially if you are taking a bus. It is a dead giveaway that you are traveling far away from home.

Inform someone you trust that you will be away for the week.

Leave hard copies of your passport, travelers cheque numbers and credit card numbers with parents or guardians so if you need it, they will have the information on hand.

If you are drinking, keep a close eye on your drink and never accept drinks from strangers. Date-rape drugs are particularly easy to get around Mexico.

Have a buddy system. Never go anywhere alone.

Bring a brochure from your hotel, just in case you get lost while intoxicated.

Be wary of using fake IDs. Many spring break hotspots have undercover sting operations.

Do not drink and drive – ever.

Do not let yourself or friends go off with strangers or “new friends” by themselves.

Always keep hotel rooms locked, and do not leave any valuables in the room.

If you bring a bag out with you to a restaurant, when putting it on the floor, stick your foot through the strap.

Do not leave belongings unattended on the beach.

If someone from the hotel staff comes to your hotel room that you were not expecting, call the desk and check on it before opening the door to them.

If you are going to a tropical location wear sunscreen with a high SPF, and beware of the sun especially between the hottest hours of the day, which are 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Cruises are especially bad since the sun reflects off the water. Make sure to bring a cover-up and hat as well.

For more safety tips on traveling, go to www.collegesafe.com or the U.S. Department of State Web site at www.travel.state.gov.