Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey tops Penn. State.

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team defeated Pennsylvania State 5-1 in the 2013-14 home opener. The Bobcats’ record improves to 2-0-1 while the Nittany Lions fall to 1-1-1.

Shiann Darkangelo led Quinnipiac with two goals. Meghan Turner notched two points in the victory with one goal and assist.

The Bobcats first goal came on a power play after Penn. State’s Jill Holdcroft received a penalty for high sticking at 14:00 in the first period. Kelly Babstock seized the opportunity and slipped the puck past the Nittany Lion goalie, Nicole Paniccia. Nicole Brown registered the assist on the play.

“We worked on the powerplay a lot this week. There were a lot of new people in new places so we were a little disorganized last week but I thought we calmed down and got good chances out of it,” Seeley said.

Babstock is second in point leaders for active Division I players behind Mercyhurst’s Christine Bestland.

Darkangelo helped Quinnipiac add to its lead in the second period. Darkangelo slipped on passed Penn State’s goaltender giving it the 2-0 cushion and giving her her first career goal. Morgan Fritz-Ward and Turner picked up assists on the play.

The Nittany Lions responded only minutes later with a goal of their own. Shannon Yoxheimer found the back of the net putting the Nittany Lions on the board.

The Bobcats then scored with 1:15 left in the second period, Cydney Roesler found Fritz-Ward for the goal, increasing Quinnipiac’s lead 3-1.

Darkangelo notched her second goal in the third period, while Turner picked up her first career goal giving the Bobcats a 5-1 lead.

“She (Darkangelo) shows up everyday. She works hard and pays attention to detail, she listens to instruction and goes out there and does it on the ice,” Seeley said.

Darkangelo scored her first unofficial goal during the 3-1 win against Guelph during an exhibition game.

Chelsea Laden had 24 saves on the evening.

The Bobcats will come back again to face off against the Nittany Lions at 4 p.m. tomorrow.