Quinnipiac men’s soccer falls in 83rd minute

The Quinnipiac men’s soccer team came into Wednesday afternoon’s home game against Loyola (Md.) seeking its first win on the young season. Eighty minutes into the home opener, that notion looked very possible.

An 83rd minute goal from forward Larry Ndjock, however, sunk the Bobcats as Quinnipiac lost its second game of the year by the final score of 1-0 at the QU Soccer Field.

Ndjock received a pass from Diego McQuestion on the left side of the field and put the ball past Quinnipiac goalkeeper Borja Angoitia for the win. Angoitia had a season-high seven saves in the contest.

“I thought we did really well, with the exception of the final result and the score line,” Da Costa said after the match. “It comes down to one mistake, or not capitalizing on one play.”

Ndjock came into the game as the Patriot League Preseason Player of the Year, and leads his team with five goals on the year.

“He’s a dangerous player, and he’s one of their key guys,” Da Costa said. “His name is going to show up on the score sheet, so we aren’t happy about that, but for a majority of the game I thought we handled him really well.”

Quinnipiac outshot the Greyhounds 17-11. The Bobcats tied their opponent in shots on two other occasions this year, however, but couldn’t come out victorious.

Machel Baker led the team with seven shots. Simon Hinde added four of his own, one on net.

With the loss Quinnipiac falls to 0-2-2 on the season. It hopes to bounce back on Saturday as it hosts Holy Cross at 3 p.m.