New softball coach announced; Fairchild out

The Quinnipiac softball program has a new head coach.

Director of Athletics and Recreation named Jill Karwoski interim head softball coach in a press release Tuesday afternoon.

Karwoski replaces Germaine Fairchild, who was head coach of Quinnipiac softball since 2001. Fairchild was an assistant coach for the team beforehand.

As recently as Aug. 14, there was a job posting on higheredjobs.com as interim head softball coach at Quinnipiac University. The posting was taken down on Aug. 19. Monday night, the athletics website listed “TBA” for the softball head coach position.

The university did not talk about Fairchild’s dismissal. A former softball player said there was miscommunication between the coaching staff and players.

“I will say that Coach G knows a lot about the game of softball and has a great deal of insight,” the former player said. “I just think sometimes it was difficult for her to communicate that to the players.”

The former softball player said a group of players, both current and former, had meetings with the athletics department to talk about the softball program.

“She said that she based everything off of numbers and stats, yet girls were killing it in practice and never saw the field,” the former player said. “… They were in complete shock and I could tell that they felt terrible about what some of us went through.”

The former player added: “[T]hey were going to have a couple meetings and do what they felt was best for both the softball program and [Fairchild].”

Under Fairchild, the Bobcats were 292-356-1 and did not win a Northeast Conference championship. Instead, Karwoski will be interim head coach as the Bobcats head into their first season in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Previously, Karwoski was an assistant coach for Providence in 2012-13, also serving as Merrimack head coach in 2011-12.

Karwoski, a 2001 graduate from Lewis University, was the associate head coach and recruiting coordinator at Boston College from 2007 until 2011.