Lace up your cleats and bring your game because the upcoming men’s lacrosse season is right around the corner. In his third season, head coach Eric Fekete and his team hope to bounce back from a disappointing 1-4 finish in America East Conference games. The team finished 3-10 overall. “Last year we struggled, and the most important lesson is what we took from that is, each player’s ability to be honest in self assessment on last seasons failures (are) the key to turning this thing around, and doing things the right way,” said Fekete.
In addition, Fekete focuses on intense and vigorous practices as a pathway to improvement. “Our work ethic and commitment to excellence both on and off the field are crucial. We spend about 10% of our season actually playing games, and the other 90% in practice. TOur level of practice needs to be competitive enough to improve our play on a daily basis,” said Fekete.
Last year’s squad had eight freshmen starting. “We asked a lot form last year’s freshman class. The attitude from that group is great. We have some special players in that class, and their best days lay ahead,” said Fekete.
Included in that group were then freshman midfielder Josh Murray and defenseman John Donnellan. While leading QU with 20 goals and 13 assists, Murray was selected to both Second Team All-Conference and All-Rookie Team. Donnellan made All-Rookie Team and led the Bobcats with 61 groundballs.
Fekete looks to his experienced juniors and seniors for moral support, which he hopes will ignite the team. “(This is) the number one factor that will accelerate our ability to achieve. Our level of competition is high, and we have so many young players. We have seven players who are either seniors or juniors (and) their ability to push our younger players to achieve is the key to the season.,” said Fekete.
Coach Fekete commented on the importance of self-confidence, which he emphasizes to his team. “When you take pride in who you are as a team, and what you set out to accomplish, than anything is possible,” said Fekete.
That also means taking pride in your surroundings.
Fekete expressed his pride in being a part the QU community and how it benefits his players. “I feel we can win here while providing players with a great education, and a commitment by the university of creating a dynamic environment for experience the best four or five years of their lives,” said Fekete.
This season’s schedule includes games against nationally ranked Princeton, Rutgers, UMBC, Harvard, Dartmouth, Ohio State, and Loyola. “We need to win some of these games to continue us on a positive progression to a top 20 program,” said Fekete.
The upcoming men’s lacrosse season will be a competitive challenge, but Coach Fekete is up to the task. “I continue to stay on my players and remind them nothing of great value in life comes easy or for free. There is cost and sacrifice involved in achievement. If you elect to climb a mountain it is rarely easy and at points anything but fun, yet is without question an unparalleled accomplishment in achievement,” said Fekete.